Re: BugTracker (Was: Re: 8.2 features status)

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: bruce(at)momjian(dot)us
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.2 features status
Date: 2006-08-09 02:31:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

bruce wrote:

> > OK, seems this should be a separate application, not done in the TODO
> > list, and I am not willing to take on that additional workload.
>
> Let me add that anyone who has CVS commit access or wants to submit
> TODO patches can keep the TODO updated in this way.

I can also give someone ssh access to my server with the ability to
modify only the TODO list.

--
Bruce Momjian bruce(at)momjian(dot)us

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2006-08-09 15:58:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 10:31:00PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> bruce wrote:
> > bruce wrote:
> > >
> > > OK, seems this should be a separate application, not done in the TODO
> > > list, and I am not willing to take on that additional workload.
> >
> > Let me add that anyone who has CVS commit access or wants to submit
> > TODO patches can keep the TODO updated in this way.
>
> I can also give someone ssh access to my server with the ability to
> modify only the TODO list.

I've never submitted patches for the TODO because it seems pretty silly
to go through that much work just to add one line to a file, but being
able to change it directly would be a good compromise. I'd be happy to
help.

Something else that bugs me about the current TODO process is there's a
lot of ideas that get brought up but never make it on there. Certainly
a lot of them aren't worth putting on there, but there's plenty of items
that get left on the floor. It would be nice if there was a better way
to deal with these ideas.

One possibility: have a 'holding area' (perhaps on a Wiki) where users
could add use-cases for these ideas. If there's 'enough demand' (however
one defines that), they get promoted to the TODO. Note that this is
something geared towards users... things that are obviously useful to
-hackers tend to get on the list.

> On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 10:31:00PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > bruce wrote:

> > > Let me add that anyone who has CVS commit access or wants to submit
> > > TODO patches can keep the TODO updated in this way.
> >
> > I can also give someone ssh access to my server with the ability to
> > modify only the TODO list.
>
> I've never submitted patches for the TODO because it seems pretty silly
> to go through that much work just to add one line to a file, but being
> able to change it directly would be a good compromise. I'd be happy to
> help.
>
> Something else that bugs me about the current TODO process is there's a
> lot of ideas that get brought up but never make it on there. Certainly
> a lot of them aren't worth putting on there, but there's plenty of items
> that get left on the floor. It would be nice if there was a better way
> to deal with these ideas.

I have to be selective because having items we aren't sure we want on
there isn't helpful.

> One possibility: have a 'holding area' (perhaps on a Wiki) where users
> could add use-cases for these ideas. If there's 'enough demand' (however
> one defines that), they get promoted to the TODO. Note that this is
> something geared towards users... things that are obviously useful to
> -hackers tend to get on the list.

Yea, that would be interesting, like a pending TODO item list.

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 12:12, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > One possibility: have a 'holding area' (perhaps on a Wiki) where users
> > could add use-cases for these ideas. If there's 'enough demand' (however
> > one defines that), they get promoted to the TODO. Note that this is
> > something geared towards users... things that are obviously useful to
> > -hackers tend to get on the list.
>
> Yea, that would be interesting, like a pending TODO item list.

Wouldn't a thread reply saying something like "Bruce, can we add this as a
TODO with the following wording: blah blah blah" likely suffice?

--
Robert Treat

> On Wednesday 09 August 2006 12:12, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> One possibility: have a 'holding area' (perhaps on a Wiki) where users
>>> could add use-cases for these ideas. If there's 'enough demand' (however
>>> one defines that), they get promoted to the TODO. Note that this is
>>> something geared towards users... things that are obviously useful to
>>> -hackers tend to get on the list.
>> Yea, that would be interesting, like a pending TODO item list.
>
> Wouldn't a thread reply saying something like "Bruce, can we add this as a
> TODO with the following wording: blah blah blah" likely suffice?

Yeah - and/or a patch to TODO or the relevant TODO.detail (I can't see
why that is hard or onerous). Plus it is seen by a wide audience, some
of whom might not be tracking any wiki (very likely if there end up
being several wiki's....)

On that note, one nice feature of the current setup, is that the only
place you need to look is the TODO, which then (hopefully) points you to
a detail or url for more info. To have to check the TODO *and* the wiki
is just one more thing to forget IMHO.

Cheers

Mark