Re: next CommitFest

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: next CommitFest
Date: 2009-11-09 01:52:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The next CommitFest is scheduled to start in a week. So far, it
doesn't look too bad, though a lot could change between now and then.

I would personally prefer not to be involved in the management of the
next CommitFest. Having done all of the July CommitFest and a good
chunk of the September CommitFest, I am feeling a bit burned out.

One pretty major fly in the ointment is that neither Hot Standby nor
Streaming Replication has been committed or shows much sign of being
about to be committed. I think this is bad. These are big features
that figure to have some bugs and break some things. If they're not
committed in time for alpha3, then there won't be any significant
testing of these prior to alpha4/beta1, at the earliest. I think
that's likely to lead to either (1) a very long beta period followed
by a late release or (2) a buggy release. I feel like Simon Riggs and
Fujii Masao really pulled out all the stops to get these ready in time
for the September CommitFest, and while I'm not in a hurry to break
the world, I think the sooner these can hit the tree, the better of
we'll be in terms of releasing 8.5.

Just my $0.02,

...Robert

> I would personally prefer not to be involved in the management of the
> next CommitFest. Having done all of the July CommitFest and a good
> chunk of the September CommitFest, I am feeling a bit burned out.

You did yeoman work on both --- thanks for that!

Do we have another volunteer to do this for the November fest?

regards, tom lane

> One pretty major fly in the ointment is that neither Hot Standby nor
> Streaming Replication has been committed or shows much sign of being
> about to be committed. I think this is bad. These are big features
> that figure to have some bugs and break some things. If they're not
> committed in time for alpha3, then there won't be any significant
> testing of these prior to alpha4/beta1, at the earliest. I think
> that's likely to lead to either (1) a very long beta period followed
> by a late release or (2) a buggy release. I feel like Simon Riggs and
> Fujii Masao really pulled out all the stops to get these ready in time
> for the September CommitFest, and while I'm not in a hurry to break
> the world, I think the sooner these can hit the tree, the better of
> we'll be in terms of releasing 8.5.
>
> Just my $0.02,

absolutely, we should be commit this.
we did some testing and things look stable.
also, people would most likely want to build code on top of it in be
ready for 8.5 (support scripts, etc.). this is important in order to
create some acceptance in "user land".
this stuffs seems mature and very well thought.

just my $0.02 ...

regards,

hans-jürgen schönig

--
Cybertec Schoenig & Schoenig GmbH
Reyergasse 9 / 2

> I would personally prefer not to be involved in the management of the
> next CommitFest. Having done all of the July CommitFest and a good
> chunk of the September CommitFest, I am feeling a bit burned out.

Dave, Selena and I will all be in Japan during the first week of the CF.
I can help after that, but during might be hard. Who else helped with
the last CF? Is someone else ready to be a CF helper?

--Josh Berkus