Re: Git conversion status

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Git conversion status
Date: 2010-09-20 16:49:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

CVS has been frozen, and all commit access locked out.

Since there haven't been any commits in cvs during the day, the test
conversoin I created after lunch should be identical to a new one I'd
run now, so let's use that one :-)

So I've moved it in place. It's on
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql-migration.git. Git
access available at
git://git.postgresql.org/git/postgresql-migration.git.

Committers can (and should! please test!) clone from git clone
ssh://git(at)gitmaster(dot)postgresql(dot)org/postgresql.git.

Please do *NOT* commit or push anything to this repository yet though:
The repo is there - all the scripts to manage it are *not*. So don't
commit until I confirm that it is.

But please clone and verify the stuff we have now.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

> CVS has been frozen, and all commit access locked out.
>
> Since there haven't been any commits in cvs during the day, the test
> conversoin I created after lunch should be identical to a new one I'd
> run now, so let's use that one :-)
>
> So I've moved it in place. It's on
> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql-migration.git. Git
> access available at
> git://git.postgresql.org/git/postgresql-migration.git.
>
> Committers can (and should! please test!) clone from git clone
> ssh://git(at)gitmaster(dot)postgresql(dot)org/postgresql.git.
>
> Please do *NOT* commit or push anything to this repository yet though:
> The repo is there - all the scripts to manage it are *not*. So don't
> commit until I confirm that it is.
>
> But please clone and verify the stuff we have now.

Git clone worked just fine.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

> Since there haven't been any commits in cvs during the day, the test
> conversoin I created after lunch should be identical to a new one I'd
> run now, so let's use that one :-)

This is not even close to matching the tarballs :-(. Seems to be a
locale problem: the diffs look like

1c1
< /* $PostgreSQL: pgsql/contrib/citext/citext.sql.in,v 1.3 2008/09/05 18:25:16 tgl Exp $ */
---
> /* $PostgreSQL: pgsql/contrib/citext/citext.sql.in,v 1.3 2008-09-05 18:25:16 tgl Exp $ */

Please fix and re-run.

regards, tom lane

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 19:34, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Since there haven't been any commits in cvs during the day, the test
>> conversoin I created after lunch should be identical to a new one I'd
>> run now, so let's use that one :-)
>
> This is not even close to matching the tarballs :-(.  Seems to be a
> locale problem: the diffs look like
>
> 1c1
> < /* $PostgreSQL: pgsql/contrib/citext/citext.sql.in,v 1.3 2008/09/05 18:25:16 tgl Exp $ */
> ---
>> /* $PostgreSQL: pgsql/contrib/citext/citext.sql.in,v 1.3 2008-09-05 18:25:16 tgl Exp $ */
>
> Please fix and re-run.

Uh, what the heck. I ran the exact same command as last time.. Hmm:
Stefan rbeooted the machine in between, I wonder if that changed
something.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 19:34, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Please fix and re-run.

> Uh, what the heck. I ran the exact same command as last time.. Hmm:
> Stefan rbeooted the machine in between, I wonder if that changed
> something.

I'm not sure we ever checked that. My comparisons against the tarballs
were done from my own run of the conversion script. I'm using C locale
here, probably you aren't?

regards, tom lane

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 19:49, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 19:34, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> Please fix and re-run.
>
>> Uh, what the heck. I ran the exact same command as last time.. Hmm:
>> Stefan rbeooted the machine in between, I wonder if that changed
>> something.
>
> I'm not sure we ever checked that.  My comparisons against the tarballs
> were done from my own run of the conversion script.  I'm using C locale
> here, probably you aren't?

Correct, I'm in en_US. I'm trying a "cvs export" in "C" now to see
exaclty what changes.
Hmm

Nope, doesn't seem to change. I just set my LANG=C, and ran a "cvs
export". but it comes back with "-" in the dates, so it seems to not
care about that.

("locale" clearly shows it's changed everything to C though)

Is there a cvs setting for this somewhere that you know of?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

> Correct, I'm in en_US. I'm trying a "cvs export" in "C" now to see
> exaclty what changes.
> Hmm

> Nope, doesn't seem to change. I just set my LANG=C, and ran a "cvs
> export". but it comes back with "-" in the dates, so it seems to not
> care about that.

I thought "cvs export" removed keywords entirely ... try a checkout
instead. Also, are you sure you don't have any LC_xxx variables set?

regards, tom lane

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 19:49, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> writes:
>>
>>> Uh, what the heck. I ran the exact same command as last time.. Hmm:
>>> Stefan rbeooted the machine in between, I wonder if that changed
>>> something.
>>
>> I'm not sure we ever checked that.  My comparisons against the tarballs
>> were done from my own run of the conversion script.  I'm using C locale
>> here, probably you aren't?
>
> Correct, I'm in en_US. I'm trying a "cvs export" in "C" now to see exaclty what changes.
> Hmm
>
> Nope, doesn't seem to change. I just set my LANG=C, and ran a "cvs export". but it comes back with "-" in the dates, so it seems to not care about that.
>
> ("locale" clearly shows it's changed everything to C though)
>
> Is there a cvs setting for this somewhere that you know of?

Think I found it.

debian applies a patch to change it. If I set DateStyle=old in
CVSROOT/config, cvs export behaves sanely. I'll re-run with that
setting.