Re: Git conversion status

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Git conversion status
Date: 2010-09-21 18:30:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09/21/2010 02:10 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Robert Haas<robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Alvaro Herrera
>> <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>>> I tried to follow the instructions on the Wiki but they didn't work.
>> Oops. I left out a step. Fixed.
> While we're discussing possible errors on that page ... at the bottom of
> the page under the "multiple workdirs" alternative are these recipes for
> re-syncing your local checkouts:
>
> git checkout REL9_0_STABLE
> git pull
>
> git checkout master
> git reset --hard origin/master
>
> Are the git checkout steps really needed, considering each workdir would
> normally be on its target branch all the time? If so, what are they
> accomplishing exactly? I don't think I've entirely internalized what
> that command does.

What I'm planning (unless someone convinces me it's a really bad idea)
doesn't quite match any of the patterns on the wiki.

It's kinda like this:

git clone --mirrorssh://git(at)gitmaster(dot)postgresql(dot)org/postgresql.git
git clone postgresql.git pg_rel9_0
cd pg_rel9_0
git checkout REL9_0_STABLE
git remote set-url --push originssh://git(at)gitmaster(dot)postgresql(dot)org/postgresql.git

with a cron job to do a "git fetch -q" fairly frequently on the mirror.
That way I'll pull from the local mirror but push back to the remote
master. ("git remote set-url --push" is a relatively recent addition to
the ever changing git landscape.)

cheers

andrew