Re: bg worker: general purpose requirements

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: bg worker: general purpose requirements
Date: 2010-09-21 18:30:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09/21/2010 05:59 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> Oh, wow. Is there another limit on the total number of bgworkers?

There currently are three GUCs that control bgworkers:

max_background_workers
min_spare_background_workers
max_spare_background_workers

The first replaces the former autovacuum_max_workers GUC. As before, it
is an overall limit, much like max_connections.

The later two are additional. They are per-database lower and upper
limits for the amount of idle workers an any point in time. These later
two are what I'm referring to as the min/max approach. And what I'm
arguing cannot be replaced by a timeout without loosing functionality.

Regards

Markus Wanner