Re: Streaming replication and postmaster signaling

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Streaming replication and postmaster signaling
Date: 2010-01-05 14:07:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Looking at the latest streaming replication patch, I don't much like the
signaling between WAL sender and postmaster. It seems complicated, and
as a rule of thumb postmaster shouldn't be accessing shared memory. The
current signaling is:

1. A new connection arrives. A new backend process is forked forked like
for a normal connection.
2. When the new process is done with the initialization, it allocates
itself a slot from WalSndCtlData shared memory array. It marks its pid
there, sets registered = false, and signals postmaster with
PMSIGNAL_REGISTER_WALSENDER
3. Upon receiving that signal, postmaster scans the WalSndCtlData array
looking for entries with registered==false. For such entries, it scans
the postmaster-private backend list for a matching entry with the same
pid, marks the entry in the list as a walsender, and sets
registered=true in the shared memory entry.

This way postmaster knows which child processes are walsenders, when
it's time to signal them.

I think it would be better to utilize the existing array of child
processes in pmsignal.c. Instead of having postmaster peek into
WalSndCtlData, let's add a new state to PMChildFlags,
PM_CHILD_WALSENDER, which is just like PM_CHILD_ACTIVE but tells
postmaster that the child is not a normal backend but a walsender.

I've done that in my git branch.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

> Looking at the latest streaming replication patch, I don't much like the
> signaling between WAL sender and postmaster. It seems complicated, and
> as a rule of thumb postmaster shouldn't be accessing shared memory. The
> current signaling is:
>
> 1. A new connection arrives. A new backend process is forked forked like
> for a normal connection.

This was probably discussed to death earlier, but: why was it decided to
not simply use a different port for listening for walsender
connections?

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 11:07 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> I think it would be better to utilize the existing array of child
> processes in pmsignal.c. Instead of having postmaster peek into
> WalSndCtlData, let's add a new state to PMChildFlags,
> PM_CHILD_WALSENDER, which is just like PM_CHILD_ACTIVE but tells
> postmaster that the child is not a normal backend but a walsender.

Seems good.

> I've done that in my git branch.

Could you push that git branch to a public place?

Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center