Re: Streaming replication and postmaster signaling

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Streaming replication and postmaster signaling
Date: 2010-01-07 21:23:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> I am tempted to say we should clamp down and go into damage control
>>> mode sooner rather than later.
>>
>> The more I see of the HS patch, the more I think the same. But my
>> proposal for "damage control mode" would be to immediately punt
>> everything else to the next release and focus our energies exclusively
>> on HS *and* SR.

> Hmm. There's something to what you say, but what about the people who
> were expecting their patches to be reviewed and perhaps committed in
> the forthcoming CommitFest. I proposed a schedule for this release
> that involved only three CommitFests and it was rejected, so it seems
> a bit unfair to pull the rug out from under people at the eleventh
> hour. Will we lose developers if we do this?

Well, I think we should put at least some effort into clearing out
the underbrush. There's a lot of pretty small stuff in the January CF
list that I think we could go through in a short time. The biggies,
IMO, are the ones you noted:

> Unfortunately, there are some patches that I probably will not feel
> confident to commit without your input - in particular, writeable
> CTEs, listen/notify, more frame options in window functions -

and Teodor's GIN/GIST stuff. If we feel that we are in schedule
trouble I think that bumping these to the next release is by far
the sanest response. Bumping SR so we can get these in would be
completely misguided.