Release cycle length

Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-www
From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Release cycle length
Date: 2003-11-17 23:46:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

The time from release 7.3 to release 7.4 was 355 days, an all-time high.
We really need to shorten that. We already have a number of significant
improvements in 7.5 now, and several good ones coming up in the next few
weeks. We cannot let people wait 1 year for that. I suggest that we aim
for a 6 month cycle, consisting of approximately 4 months of development
and 2 months of cleanup. So the start of the next beta could be the 1st
of March. What do you think?

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> The time from release 7.3 to release 7.4 was 355 days, an all-time high.
> We really need to shorten that. We already have a number of significant
> improvements in 7.5 now, and several good ones coming up in the next few
> weeks. We cannot let people wait 1 year for that. I suggest that we aim
> for a 6 month cycle, consisting of approximately 4 months of development
> and 2 months of cleanup. So the start of the next beta could be the 1st
> of March. What do you think?

That is the usual goal *nod* Same goal we try for each release, and never
quite seem to get there ... we'll try 'yet again' with v7.5 though, as we
always do :)