Re: Build farm

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Build farm
Date: 2003-11-25 05:05:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

> Would it be reasonable to promote users testing daily snapshots with
> popular applications? I'm guessing there's not many applications that
> have automated test frameworks, but any that do would theoretically
> provide another good test of PGSQL changes.

May I quote Joel on Software here?

The Joel Test

1. Do you use source control?
2. Can you make a build in one step?
3. Do you make daily builds?
4. Do you have a bug database?
5. Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
6. Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
7. Do you have a spec?
8. Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
9. Do you use the best tools money can buy?
10. Do you have testers?
11. Do new candidates write code during their interview?
12. Do you do hallway usability testing?

"The neat thing about The Joel Test is that it's easy to get a quick yes
or no to each question. You don't have to figure out
lines-of-code-per-day or average-bugs-per-inflection-point. Give your
team 1 point for each "yes" answer. The bummer about The Joel Test is
that you really shouldn't use it to make sure that your nuclear power
plant software is safe.

A score of 12 is perfect, 11 is tolerable, but 10 or lower and you've
got serious problems. The truth is that most software organizations are
running with a score of 2 or 3, and they need serious help, because
companies like Microsoft run at 12 full-time. "

Not everything there applies to us, of course.

Chris