Re: tsearch V2 (Was: Re: Two weeks to feature freeze)

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Two weeks to feature freeze
Date: 2003-06-18 20:15:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

We have less than two weeks to feature freeze. Win32 is still in an
uncompleted state, and I haven't been able to return to it recently.
Jan is working on getting exec() working, and hopefully someone can help
me on signals. If I get those two done, I think I can tweek Win32 in
minor ways during beta.

I talked to Patrick about PITR, and with JR now back involved, he might
get it done.

Basically, we might get them both in, or it might be a disaster that we
delayed beta for one month.

I am heading to MIT now and will try to get all the outstanding patches
in within the next few days. There are only a few left, mostly ones
that appeared while I was applying the last patch backlog.

I have also been asked to complete my O'Reilly slides by the end of next
week, so I will have little time for Win32.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

> We have less than two weeks to feature freeze. Win32 is still in an
> uncompleted state, and I haven't been able to return to it recently.
> Jan is working on getting exec() working, and hopefully someone can help
> me on signals. If I get those two done, I think I can tweek Win32 in
> minor ways during beta.
>
> I talked to Patrick about PITR, and with JR now back involved, he might
> get it done.
>
> Basically, we might get them both in, or it might be a disaster that we
> delayed beta for one month.

What about the nested transaction stuff?

Do we have any "killer" features added to 7.4 that we can shout about?
There's usually been one or two in the past...?

Chris

On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 01:27, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > We have less than two weeks to feature freeze. Win32 is still in an
> > uncompleted state, and I haven't been able to return to it recently.
> > Jan is working on getting exec() working, and hopefully someone can help
> > me on signals. If I get those two done, I think I can tweek Win32 in
> > minor ways during beta.
> >
> > I talked to Patrick about PITR, and with JR now back involved, he might
> > get it done.
> >
> > Basically, we might get them both in, or it might be a disaster that we
> > delayed beta for one month.
>
> What about the nested transaction stuff?
>
> Do we have any "killer" features added to 7.4 that we can shout about?
> There's usually been one or two in the past...?

A quick glance at the TODO list shows a number of speed improvements in
specific areas (IN, GROUP BY, Subselects in views), ARRAY improvements,
some utility command improvements / additions, and a significant
protocol update.

The protocol update may not be flashy, but it is a large step forward in
presenting a clean experience for developers using PostgreSQL (reduces
chance of rare, unexpected, and difficult to find logic errors).

If nothing else, it makes for an excellent cleanup release that rounds
off some of the sharp corners (tab completion for schema elements in
psql, schema dump in psql, fixed cluster support, transactional
truncate, alter sequence, new regex code for fast MultiByte, etc).

--
Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 21:27, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Do we have any "killer" features added to 7.4 that we can shout about?
> There's usually been one or two in the past...?

Isn't the index growth problem solved in this release? I think that is
a killer feature that solves a big problem for alot of people.

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 09:59:17PM -0400, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 21:27, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > Do we have any "killer" features added to 7.4 that we can shout about?
> > There's usually been one or two in the past...?
>
> Isn't the index growth problem solved in this release? I think that is
> a killer feature that solves a big problem for alot of people.

Yes. That qualifies for "killer features" at least to some big users
here.

"Granting software the freedom to evolve guarantees only different results,
not better ones." (Zygo Blaxell)