Re: Two weeks to feature freeze

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Date: 2003-06-22 03:58:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > What does bother me is that we weren't getting any closer on those
> > _hard_ items. At least with this release, we will be _closer_ on Win32
> > and PITR.
>
> Maybe our problem is such a ... hatred of #ifdef? Maybe its time to go
> back a bit to our roots ... get the 'experimental features' in with #ifdef
> so that others have a chance to look at and work on it, and once ready for
> prime time, pull the #ifdef's out ... ?

That's a tough call. I do worry about readability. We have made Win32
changes, and they aren't ifdefs, and we still have a running system, and
I think we can do that for PITR too. I think the big issue, which may be
your point, is to get incremental work into CVS as soon as possible so
we continue to take small steps.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us