Re: Two weeks to feature freeze

From: Andreas Pflug <Andreas(dot)Pflug(at)web(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Date: 2003-06-22 07:48:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>I spent weeks doing hash aggregates, weeks doing IN-subselect
>optimization, and am in the middle of many weeks on FE/BE protocol
>improvement. I am sorry that you don't see these as killer features
>... but they are all things that we desperately needed to do.

For me, the 7.4 enhancements are essential, the join optimizations make
the difference between "app works" and "app doesn't work", because
queries (that can't be changed) that previously ran for ages for
non-obvious reasons now speed up to <<1 second. The planner reached a
new level of maturity.

I'd recommend continuing enhancement work on pgsql, and if a majority
feels that features are so killing the version is bumped up one major.
I wouldn't see a yet another platform as a reason for this, rather
something that vastly extends the field of operation (2PC was mentioned,
maybe PITR).

Regards,
Andreas