Getting a move on for 8.2 beta

Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-www
From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta
Date: 2006-09-01 15:50:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

(I've already bounced this off the core committee, but it's time for
wider discussion.)

September is upon us and it doesn't seem like we are ready to ship
a beta. I think it's time to start making some hard choices.

In the main code I see these outstanding features/patches:

* bitmap indexes
* updatable views
* GUC variable reload + refactoring (previously applied and reverted)
* plpython improvements (needs review by someone who knows plpython)
* plpgsql improvements for returning record types
* patch to build on VC
* make libpq default client_encoding setting from locale?

In contrib we've got:

* new ISBN/etc module
* hstore (finally proposed for inclusion)
* new sslinfo module
* pgstattuple changes
* removing the deadwood

These are not all the open issues, for sure, but these are what I think
have to be resolved before we can go beta. Everything else is in the
category of "bug fixes", and none of it seems like a showstopper (in
fact a lot of the small stuff on my todo list is bugs reported against
8.1, so those certainly are not beta-stoppers).

My feeling is that we ought to bounce bitmap indexes and updatable views
as not being ready, accept all the contrib stuff, and try to get the
other items done in time for a beta at, say, the end of next week.

I'm not thrilled about postponing those two large items till 8.3, but
we are a month past feature freeze and we do not have credible patches
in hand for either. The alternative is to be willing to slip the
schedule until whenever they are ready, and we have learned the hard way
that that's not good project management.

Comments?

regards, tom lane

> My feeling is that we ought to bounce bitmap indexes and updatable views
> as not being ready, accept all the contrib stuff, and try to get the
> other items done in time for a beta at, say, the end of next week.
>
> I'm not thrilled about postponing those two large items till 8.3, but
> we are a month past feature freeze and we do not have credible patches
> in hand for either.

I know there is a lot of "backend" work that has been done for 8.2 but
the two features you are suggesting we bounce, are probably the most
visible of marketable features we will have for this release. Especially
updateable views.

> The alternative is to be willing to slip the
> schedule until whenever they are ready, and we have learned the hard way
> that that's not good project management.

Well I don't like the idea either, but if it isn't done, it isn't done.
How often do we hear the complaint about software that is shipped before
it is done?

Outside of feature freeze, we really haven't had AFAICS a "solid"
release schedule. Is it going to be push Beta for a month? Does that
push us till the end of the year?

I don't know which is the better solution, but you asked for comments :)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/

> September is upon us and it doesn't seem like we are ready to ship
> a beta. I think it's time to start making some hard choices.
>
> In the main code I see these outstanding features/patches:
>
> * bitmap indexes
> * updatable views

IMHO these two should be bounced. They are big features that still seem
to need a lot of work and will probably take long before they are ready
for inclusion. Interested parties should continue working on them with
an eye to be included *at the start* of the 8.3 development cycle.

> * GUC variable reload + refactoring (previously applied and reverted)
> * plpython improvements (needs review by someone who knows plpython)
> * plpgsql improvements for returning record types
> * patch to build on VC
> * make libpq default client_encoding setting from locale?

> In contrib we've got:
>
> * new ISBN/etc module
> * hstore (finally proposed for inclusion)
> * new sslinfo module
> * pgstattuple changes
> * removing the deadwood

These all seem to be manageable within reasonable time.

I can help with the contrib stuff.

> My feeling is that we ought to bounce bitmap indexes and updatable views
> as not being ready, accept all the contrib stuff, and try to get the
> other items done in time for a beta at, say, the end of next week.

+1.

> September is upon us and it doesn't seem like we are ready to ship
> a beta. I think it's time to start making some hard choices.
>
> In the main code I see these outstanding features/patches:
>
> * bitmap indexes
> * updatable views
> * GUC variable reload + refactoring (previously applied and reverted)
> * plpython improvements (needs review by someone who knows plpython)
> * plpgsql improvements for returning record types
> * patch to build on VC

What's VC?

> * make libpq default client_encoding setting from locale?
>
> In contrib we've got:
>
> * new ISBN/etc module
> * hstore (finally proposed for inclusion)
> * new sslinfo module
> * pgstattuple changes
> * removing the deadwood

This is just a delete. I've fixed the pgFoundry permissions issues and
will be loading the last CVS snapshot today. At that point, Bruce can
delete stuff.

Can you be a little clearer on which things are non-working patches, and
which things are pending due to lack of review? I'm all for bouncing
stuff that's not ready to go, but bouncing stuff because we haven't
recruited enough code reviewers is just bad practice.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun