Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta
Date: 2006-09-01 23:01:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

> Bruce,
>>> What's VC?
>>
>> MS Visual C++

> Given that this could lead to us recruiting more developers out of our
> Windows user base, I'd prioritize it.

Yeah, that's why I listed it as a major item. I haven't had a chance to
look at the patch, but if it's not too ugly I would like to get it in
this time rather than next --- that could lead directly to having more
people available next time.

> If you look at the two "incomplete" patches, and the "misfired" one
> (Bitmaps, Updatable Views, and WITH RECURSIVE) all of them are patches
> where the submitter had been working on them months ago, and might have
> made the release (or let us know they weren't on schedule) if we'd held
> them to an earlier deadline.

Perhaps, but I'm not sure what we can or should do about it. Moving
deadlines up will either create a dead zone where we all sit around
twiddling our thumbs, or people will keep on coding till the last minute
anyway.

I think having a few patches that don't make the deadline isn't a bad
thing: it means we didn't have people sitting idle. It's not like the
work will go to waste --- those things can still get in in the next
devel cycle.