Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta
Date: 2006-09-01 19:28:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

> My feeling is that we ought to bounce bitmap indexes and updatable views
> as not being ready, accept all the contrib stuff, and try to get the
> other items done in time for a beta at, say, the end of next week.

I agree with bouncing these to get the beta out, though I hate having
to wait another year for them. If things change in some way and we have
the opportunity to fit one in this time, I'd rather see updatable views
than bitmap indexes, personally.

Overall, I really think 8.2 is going to be an excellent release. I wish
autovacuum could have been enabled by default and I'd just like to ask,
now and I'll try to remember again once 8.2 is out, please let's turn it
on by default for 8.3 (and early on so we get some good testing of it).

Thanks,

Stephen