Re: CommitFest wrap-up

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: CommitFest wrap-up
Date: 2010-12-13 17:37:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

We're now just a day or two from the end of this CommitFest and there
are still a LOT of open patches - to be specific, 23.Here's a brief
synopsis of where we are with the others, all IMO of course.

- fix for seg picksplit function - I don't have confidence this change
is for the best and can't take responsibility for it. It needs review
by a committer who understands this stuff better than me and can
determine whether or not the change is really an improvement.
- unlogged tables - This is not going to get fully resolved in the
next two days. I'll move it to the next CF and keep plugging away at
it.
- instrument checkpoint sync calls - I plan to commit this in the next
48 hours. (Hopefully Greg Smith will do the cleanup I suggested, if
not I'll do it.)
- explain analyze getrusage tracking - It seems clear to mark this as
Returned with Feedback.
- synchronous replication - and...
- synchronous replication, transaction-controlled - If we want to get
this feature into 9.1, we had better get a move on. But I don't
currently have it in my time budget to deal with this.
- serializable lock consistency - I am fairly certain this needs
rebasing. I don't have time to deal with it right away. That sucks,
because I think this is a really important change.
- MERGE command - Returned with Feedback? Not sure where we stand with this.
- Add primary key using an existing index - Returned with Feedback
unless a committer is available immediately to pick this up and finish
it off.
- SQL/MED - core functionality - Seems clear to move this to the next
CF and keep working on it.
- Idle in transaction cancellation V3 - I think this is waiting on
further review. Can anyone work on this one RSN?
- Writeable CTEs - I think we need Tom to pick this one up.
- Per-column collation - Bump to next CF, unless Peter is planning to
commit imminently.
- Tab completion in psql for triggers on views - Added to CF late,
suggest we bump it to the next CF where it will have a leg up by
virtue of already being marked Ready for Committer.
- SQL/MED - file_fdw - Discussion is ongoing, but I see no harm in
marking this Returned with Feedback for now in anticipation of a new
version before CF 2011-01.
- SQL/MED - postgresql_fdw - Hasn't received as much review, I think,
so should probably be moved to next CF as-is.
- Label switcher function (trusted procedure) - I plan to commit this
with whatever changes are needed within the next 48 hours.
- Extensions - Still under active discussion, suggested we move to next CF.
- Fix snapshot taking inconsistencies - Ready for committer. Can any
committer pick this up?
- Crash dump handler for Windows. Magnus?
- Directory archive format for pg_dump. Heikki?
- WIP patch for parallel dump. Returned with Feedback?

All in all it's disappointing to have so many major patches
outstanding at this point in the CommitFest, but I think we're just
going to have to make the best of it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

On 12/13/2010 12:37 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> - SQL/MED - core functionality - Seems clear to move this to the next
> CF and keep working on it.
[...]
> - SQL/MED - file_fdw - Discussion is ongoing, but I see no harm in
> marking this Returned with Feedback for now in anticipation of a new
> version before CF 2011-01.
> - SQL/MED - postgresql_fdw - Hasn't received as much review, I think,
> so should probably be moved to next CF as-is.

Don't we need the core patch before the FDW patches? I hope that the
core patch is completed and committed ASAP so we have a chance to get
the FDW patches in.

cheers

andrew

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:

> On 12/13/2010 12:37 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>>
>> - SQL/MED - core functionality - Seems clear to move this to the next
>> CF and keep working on it.
>
> [...]
>>
>> - SQL/MED - file_fdw - Discussion is ongoing, but I see no harm in
>> marking this Returned with Feedback for now in anticipation of a new
>> version before CF 2011-01.
>> - SQL/MED - postgresql_fdw - Hasn't received as much review, I think,
>> so should probably be moved to next CF as-is.
>>

> Don't we need the core patch before the FDW patches? I hope that the core
> patch is completed and committed ASAP so we have a chance to get the FDW
> patches in.

The core patch will certainly need to be committed first. But I doubt
that's going to happen in the next few days. If we get it in before
the next CF starts, I think we'll be doing very well.

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 12:37:52PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> We're now just a day or two from the end of this CommitFest and there
> are still a LOT of open patches - to be specific, 23.Here's a brief
> synopsis of where we are with the others, all IMO of course.

[snip]
> - Writeable CTEs - I think we need Tom to pick this one up.

What is it about this that's so complex? It's not like it could
impinge on previous functionality, at least at the SQL level.

> - Tab completion in psql for triggers on views - Added to CF late,
> suggest we bump it to the next CF where it will have a leg up by
> virtue of already being marked Ready for Committer.

People are, by the way, allowed to commit patches outside of CFs. I
had submitted it imagining that its triviality would allow this, which
is why it got into the CF late in the first place.

[etc., etc., etc.]

> All in all it's disappointing to have so many major patches
> outstanding at this point in the CommitFest, but I think we're just
> going to have to make the best of it.

I'm thinking that given all these givens, we should make the best of
it with more CF in March. We don't want a repeat of the "last-minute
giant change" anti-pattern, and even if we're releasing 9.1 in July,
three months plus is plenty of time to shake things out.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 2:19 PM, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 12:37:52PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>> We're now just a day or two from the end of this CommitFest and there
>> are still a LOT of open patches - to be specific, 23.Here's a brief
>> synopsis of where we are with the others, all IMO of course.
>
> [snip]
>> - Writeable CTEs - I think we need Tom to pick this one up.
>
> What is it about this that's so complex?  It's not like it could
> impinge on previous functionality, at least at the SQL level.

I didn't say it was complex, although it is. I said I think we need
Tom to pick it up. That's partly because he's likely to have
overpoweringly strong opinions on how it should work, which may make
it unproductive for someone else to spend time on it. Also, it is
complex, and regardless of what effects it has on anything else, it
does need to work. Tom is good at that.

>> - Tab completion in psql for triggers on views - Added to CF late,
>> suggest we bump it to the next CF where it will have a leg up by
>> virtue of already being marked Ready for Committer.
>
> People are, by the way, allowed to commit patches outside of CFs.  I
> had submitted it imagining that its triviality would allow this, which
> is why it got into the CF late in the first place.

You can insist all you like that your favorite patches are trivial,
but that doesn't make it so. I am well aware that patches can be
committed between CommitFests. For example:

git log --author=Haas --since=2010-10-16 --before=2010-11-14

>> All in all it's disappointing to have so many major patches
>> outstanding at this point in the CommitFest, but I think we're just
>> going to have to make the best of it.
>
> I'm thinking that given all these givens, we should make the best of
> it with more CF in March.  We don't want a repeat of the "last-minute
> giant change" anti-pattern, and even if we're releasing 9.1 in July,
> three months plus is plenty of time to shake things out.

-1. That's as likely to make the back-up of big patches worse as it
is to make it better. Maybe more likely.