Re: CommitFest wrap-up

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CommitFest wrap-up
Date: 2010-12-15 03:33:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> - fix for seg picksplit function - I don't have confidence this change
> is for the best and can't take responsibility for it. It needs review
> by a committer who understands this stuff better than me and can
> determine whether or not the change is really an improvement.

Still outstanding.

> - unlogged tables - This is not going to get fully resolved in the
> next two days.  I'll move it to the next CF and keep plugging away at
> it.

Moved.

> - instrument checkpoint sync calls - I plan to commit this in the next
> 48 hours.  (Hopefully Greg Smith will do the cleanup I suggested, if
> not I'll do it.)

Committed.

> - explain analyze getrusage tracking - It seems clear to mark this as
> Returned with Feedback.

Marked return with Feedback.

> - synchronous replication - and...
> - synchronous replication, transaction-controlled - If we want to get
> this feature into 9.1, we had better get a move on.  But I don't
> currently have it in my time budget to deal with this.

Neither patch applies, and Simon's was also labelled WIP. Marked both
Returned with Feedback.

> - serializable lock consistency - I am fairly certain this needs
> rebasing.  I don't have time to deal with it right away.  That sucks,
> because I think this is a really important change.
> - MERGE command - Returned with Feedback?  Not sure where we stand with this.

Still outstanding.

> - Add primary key using an existing index - Returned with Feedback
> unless a committer is available immediately to pick this up and finish
> it off.

Returned with Feedback. Looks like author is planning to rework this one.

> - SQL/MED - core functionality - Seems clear to move this to the next
> CF and keep working on it.

Moved.

> - Idle in transaction cancellation V3 - I think this is waiting on
> further review.  Can anyone work on this one RSN?

Reviewed, but no doubt there's more work left to be done here than is
going to happen in this CF.

> - Writeable CTEs - I think we need Tom to pick this one up.
> - Per-column collation - Bump to next CF, unless Peter is planning to
> commit imminently.

Both still outstanding. I suppose these will have to be moved to the
next CommitFest.

> - Tab completion in psql for triggers on views - Added to CF late,
> suggest we bump it to the next CF where it will have a leg up by
> virtue of already being marked Ready for Committer.

Partially committed. I'll see if I can find time to commit the rest;
otherwise, I'll move it along to the next CF.

> - SQL/MED - file_fdw - Discussion is ongoing, but I see no harm in
> marking this Returned with Feedback for now in anticipation of a new
> version before CF 2011-01.
> - SQL/MED - postgresql_fdw - Hasn't received as much review, I think,
> so should probably be moved to next CF as-is.

Per recommendation from Greg Smith, moved to next CF.

> - Label switcher function (trusted procedure) - I plan to commit this
> with whatever changes are needed within the next 48 hours.

Committed.

> - Extensions - Still under active discussion, suggested we move to next CF.
> - Fix snapshot taking inconsistencies - Ready for committer. Can any
> committer pick this up?
> - Crash dump handler for Windows.  Magnus?
> - Directory archive format for pg_dump.  Heikki?

These are all still outstanding.

> - WIP patch for parallel dump.  Returned with Feedback?

Returned with Feedback, with some reluctance, but nothing else seems reasonable.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company