Re: [Fwd: Re: proposal: new long psql parameter --on-error-stop]

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: proposal: new long psql parameter --on-error-stop]
Date: 2014-06-22 15:04:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello

third version with Erik's update

Thanks Erik

Regards

Pavel

> Hi Pavel,
>
> It seems you overlooked the patch that I sent?
>
> There are some typo's in your patch (also in v2) like:
>
> PROPMPT1, PROPMT2, PROPMPT3
>
> SIGLELINE
>
> I fixed those in my patch and improved the text.
> Attached is the diff against your v1 patch
>

> Thanks,
>

> Erik

help-variables-03.patch text/x-patch 7.2 KB

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-06-23 08:02:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 12:04 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> third version with Erik's update

Here are some my comments:

The document of psql needs to be updated. At least the description of new option
this patch adds needs to be added into the document.

+ printf(_(" --help-variables list of available
configuration variables (options), then exit\n"));

We should get rid of "of" from the message, or add "show" in front of "list of"?

+ printf(_(" ECHO write all input lines to standard
output\n"));

This message seems not to be correct when ECHO=queries is set.

+ printf(_(" COMP_KEYWORD_CASE determines which letter case to
use when completing an SQL key word\n"));
+ printf(_(" DBNAME name of currently connected database\n"));
+ printf(_(" ECHO write all input lines to standard
output\n"));

I found that some help message line uses a normal form of a verb, but
other does not.
We should standardize them?

+ printf(_(" PROMPT1, PROMPT2, PROMPT3 specify the psql prompt\n"));

When the option name field is long, we should add a new line just
after the name field
and align the starting position of the option explanation field. That is,
for example, the above should be

printf(_(" PROMPT1, PROMPT2, PROMPT3\n"
" specify the psql prompt\n"));

+ printf(_(" ON_ERROR_ROLLBACK when on, ROLLBACK on error\n"));

This message seems incorrect to me. When this option is on and an error occurs
in transaction, transaction continues rather than ROLLBACK occurs, IIUC.
I did not check whole help messages yet, but ISTM some messages are not correct.
It's better to check them again.

+ printf(_(" PSQL_RC alternative location of the user's
.psqlrc file\n"));

Typo: PSQL_RC should be PSQLRC

+ printf(_(" PGDATABASE same as the dbname connection
parameter\n"));
+ printf(_(" PGHOST same as the host connection parameter\n"));
+ printf(_(" PGPORT same as the port connection
parameter\n"));
+ printf(_(" PGUSER same as the user connection parameter\n"));
+ printf(_(" PGPASSWORD possibility to set password (not
recommended)\n"));
+ printf(_(" PGPASSFILE password file (default ~/.pgpass)\n"));

I don't think that psql needs to display the help messages of even environment
variables supported by libpq.

Fujii Masao

> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 12:04 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > third version with Erik's update
>
> Here are some my comments:
>
> The document of psql needs to be updated. At least the description of new
> option
> this patch adds needs to be added into the document.
>
> + printf(_(" --help-variables list of available
> configuration variables (options), then exit\n"));
>
> We should get rid of "of" from the message, or add "show" in front of
> "list of"?
>
> + printf(_(" ECHO write all input lines to standard
> output\n"));
>
> This message seems not to be correct when ECHO=queries is set.
>
> + printf(_(" COMP_KEYWORD_CASE determines which letter case to
> use when completing an SQL key word\n"));
> + printf(_(" DBNAME name of currently connected
> database\n"));
> + printf(_(" ECHO write all input lines to standard
> output\n"));
>
> I found that some help message line uses a normal form of a verb, but
> other does not.
> We should standardize them?
>
> + printf(_(" PROMPT1, PROMPT2, PROMPT3 specify the psql prompt\n"));
>
> When the option name field is long, we should add a new line just
> after the name field
> and align the starting position of the option explanation field. That is,
> for example, the above should be
>
> printf(_(" PROMPT1, PROMPT2, PROMPT3\n"
> " specify the psql prompt\n"));
>
> + printf(_(" ON_ERROR_ROLLBACK when on, ROLLBACK on error\n"));
>
> This message seems incorrect to me. When this option is on and an error
> occurs
> in transaction, transaction continues rather than ROLLBACK occurs, IIUC.
> I did not check whole help messages yet, but ISTM some messages are not
> correct.
> It's better to check them again.
>
> + printf(_(" PSQL_RC alternative location of the user's
> .psqlrc file\n"));
>
> Typo: PSQL_RC should be PSQLRC
>
> + printf(_(" PGDATABASE same as the dbname connection
> parameter\n"));
> + printf(_(" PGHOST same as the host connection
> parameter\n"));
> + printf(_(" PGPORT same as the port connection
> parameter\n"));
> + printf(_(" PGUSER same as the user connection
> parameter\n"));
> + printf(_(" PGPASSWORD possibility to set password (not
> recommended)\n"));
> + printf(_(" PGPASSFILE password file (default ~/.pgpass)\n"));
>
> I don't think that psql needs to display the help messages of even
> environment
> variables supported by libpq.

Main reason is a PGPASSWORD -- it is probably most used env variable with
psql

PGPASSWORD=****** psql is very often used pattern

Regards

Pavel Stehule

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-06-23 08:57:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 5:10 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello

>> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 12:04 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hello
>> >
>> > third version with Erik's update
>>
>> Here are some my comments:
>>
>> The document of psql needs to be updated. At least the description of new
>> option
>> this patch adds needs to be added into the document.
>>
>> + printf(_(" --help-variables list of available
>> configuration variables (options), then exit\n"));
>>
>> We should get rid of "of" from the message, or add "show" in front of
>> "list of"?
>>
>> + printf(_(" ECHO write all input lines to standard
>> output\n"));
>>
>> This message seems not to be correct when ECHO=queries is set.
>>
>> + printf(_(" COMP_KEYWORD_CASE determines which letter case to
>> use when completing an SQL key word\n"));
>> + printf(_(" DBNAME name of currently connected
>> database\n"));
>> + printf(_(" ECHO write all input lines to standard
>> output\n"));
>>
>> I found that some help message line uses a normal form of a verb, but
>> other does not.
>> We should standardize them?
>>
>> + printf(_(" PROMPT1, PROMPT2, PROMPT3 specify the psql prompt\n"));
>>
>> When the option name field is long, we should add a new line just
>> after the name field
>> and align the starting position of the option explanation field. That is,
>> for example, the above should be
>>
>> printf(_(" PROMPT1, PROMPT2, PROMPT3\n"
>> " specify the psql prompt\n"));
>>
>> + printf(_(" ON_ERROR_ROLLBACK when on, ROLLBACK on error\n"));
>>
>> This message seems incorrect to me. When this option is on and an error
>> occurs
>> in transaction, transaction continues rather than ROLLBACK occurs, IIUC.
>> I did not check whole help messages yet, but ISTM some messages are not
>> correct.
>> It's better to check them again.
>>
>> + printf(_(" PSQL_RC alternative location of the user's
>> .psqlrc file\n"));
>>
>> Typo: PSQL_RC should be PSQLRC
>>
>> + printf(_(" PGDATABASE same as the dbname connection
>> parameter\n"));
>> + printf(_(" PGHOST same as the host connection
>> parameter\n"));
>> + printf(_(" PGPORT same as the port connection
>> parameter\n"));
>> + printf(_(" PGUSER same as the user connection
>> parameter\n"));
>> + printf(_(" PGPASSWORD possibility to set password (not
>> recommended)\n"));
>> + printf(_(" PGPASSFILE password file (default
>> ~/.pgpass)\n"));
>>
>> I don't think that psql needs to display the help messages of even
>> environment
>> variables supported by libpq.
>>

> Main reason is a PGPASSWORD -- it is probably most used env variable with
> psql
>
> PGPASSWORD=****** psql is very often used pattern

But it's not recommended as the help message which the patch added says ;)

Fujii Masao

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-06-23 09:06:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> [...]
> >> parameter\n"));
> >> + printf(_(" PGHOST same as the host connection
> >> parameter\n"));
> >> + printf(_(" PGPORT same as the port connection
> >> parameter\n"));
> >> + printf(_(" PGUSER same as the user connection
> >> parameter\n"));
> >> + printf(_(" PGPASSWORD possibility to set password (not
> >> recommended)\n"));
> >> + printf(_(" PGPASSFILE password file (default
> >> ~/.pgpass)\n"));
> >>
> >> I don't think that psql needs to display the help messages of even
> >> environment
> >> variables supported by libpq.
> >>

> > Main reason is a PGPASSWORD -- it is probably most used env variable with
> > psql
> >
> > PGPASSWORD=****** psql is very often used pattern
>
> But it's not recommended as the help message which the patch added says ;)

why?

who can see this value?

regards

Pavel

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-06-23 09:53:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 6:06 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 5:10 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hello

>> > Main reason is a PGPASSWORD -- it is probably most used env variable
>> > with
>> > psql
>> >
>> > PGPASSWORD=****** psql is very often used pattern
>>
>> But it's not recommended as the help message which the patch added says ;)
>

> why?
>
> who can see this value?

I'm sure that the document explains this.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/libpq-envars.html
---------------------------------------
PGPASSWORD behaves the same as the password connection parameter.
Use of this environment variable is not recommended for security reasons,
as some operating systems allow non-root users to see process environment
variables via ps; instead consider using the ~/.pgpass file
---------------------------------------

Fujii Masao

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-06-23 11:08:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 6:06 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:

> error
> not

> user's

> >> But it's not recommended as the help message which the patch added says
> ;)
> >

> > why?
> >
> > who can see this value?
>
> I'm sure that the document explains this.

ok

I am too Linux centrist :( it is safe there and I don't see a others

Thank you for info

Regards

Pavel

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-06-23 17:43:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello

I am sending little bit modified patch by Fujii' comments - but I am not
able to fix it more - it is task for someone with better English skill then
I have

Regards

Pavel

> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 12:04 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > third version with Erik's update
>
> Here are some my comments:
>
> The document of psql needs to be updated. At least the description of new
> option
> this patch adds needs to be added into the document.
>
> + printf(_(" --help-variables list of available
> configuration variables (options), then exit\n"));
>
> We should get rid of "of" from the message, or add "show" in front of
> "list of"?
>
> + printf(_(" ECHO write all input lines to standard
> output\n"));
>
> This message seems not to be correct when ECHO=queries is set.
>
> + printf(_(" COMP_KEYWORD_CASE determines which letter case to
> use when completing an SQL key word\n"));
> + printf(_(" DBNAME name of currently connected
> database\n"));
> + printf(_(" ECHO write all input lines to standard
> output\n"));
>
> I found that some help message line uses a normal form of a verb, but
> other does not.
> We should standardize them?
>
> + printf(_(" PROMPT1, PROMPT2, PROMPT3 specify the psql prompt\n"));
>
> When the option name field is long, we should add a new line just
> after the name field
> and align the starting position of the option explanation field. That is,
> for example, the above should be
>
> printf(_(" PROMPT1, PROMPT2, PROMPT3\n"
> " specify the psql prompt\n"));
>
> + printf(_(" ON_ERROR_ROLLBACK when on, ROLLBACK on error\n"));
>
> This message seems incorrect to me. When this option is on and an error
> occurs
> in transaction, transaction continues rather than ROLLBACK occurs, IIUC.
> I did not check whole help messages yet, but ISTM some messages are not
> correct.
> It's better to check them again.
>
> + printf(_(" PSQL_RC alternative location of the user's
> .psqlrc file\n"));
>
> Typo: PSQL_RC should be PSQLRC
>
> + printf(_(" PGDATABASE same as the dbname connection
> parameter\n"));
> + printf(_(" PGHOST same as the host connection
> parameter\n"));
> + printf(_(" PGPORT same as the port connection
> parameter\n"));
> + printf(_(" PGUSER same as the user connection
> parameter\n"));
> + printf(_(" PGPASSWORD possibility to set password (not
> recommended)\n"));
> + printf(_(" PGPASSFILE password file (default ~/.pgpass)\n"));
>
> I don't think that psql needs to display the help messages of even
> environment
> variables supported by libpq.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Fujii Masao

Attachment Content-Type Size
help-variables-04.patch text/x-patch 7.3 KB

From: "MauMau" <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Fujii Masao" <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Erik Rijkers" <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-06-25 15:17:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

OK, let me help you, though I'm only a Japanese who is never confident in my
English.

(1)
As Fujii-san pointed out, could you add explanation for --help-variables in
doc/src/sgml/ref/psqlref.sgml?

(2)
+ printf(_(" --help-variables list of available configuration
variables (options), then exit\n"));

should better be:

+ printf(_(" --help-variables show A list of all specially treated
variables, then exit\n"));

This follows the psql manual page. Similarly,

+ printf(_("List of variables (options) for use from command line.\n"));

should be:

+ printf(_("List of specially treated variables.\n"));

(3)
+ printf(_(" ECHO control what input can be writtent to
standard output [all, queries]\n"));

"writtent" should be "written". "controls" should be "control" like other
options.

(4)
+ printf(_(" ECHO_HIDDEN display internal queries (same as -E
option)\n"));

should better be:

+ printf(_(" ECHO_HIDDEN display internal queries executed by
backslash commands\n"));

I think "(same as ...)" can be omitted to keep the description short. If
you want to retain it, other variables should also accompany similar
description, such as -a for ECHO.

(5)
+ printf(_(" FETCH_COUNT fetch many rows at a time (use less memory)
(default 0 unlimited)\n"));

should better be:

+ printf(_(" FETCH_COUNT the number of result rows to fetch and
display at a time (default: 0=unlimited)\n"));

(6)
+ printf(_(" HISTCONTROL when set, controls history list
[ignorespace, ignoredups, ignoreboth]\n"));

should better be:

+ printf(_(" HISTCONTROL control history list [ignorespace,
ignoredups, ignoreboth]\n"));

(7)
+ printf(_(" USER the database user currently connected\n"));

should add "as" at the end:

+ printf(_(" USER the database user currently connected
as\n"));

(8)
"Printing options" section lack the following ones described in psql manual:

columns
expanded (or x)
footer
numericlocale
tableattr (or T)

(9)
+ printf(_("\nEnvironment options:\n"));

should be ""Environment variables". And this section lacks description for
Windows, such as:

+ printf(_(" NAME=VALUE [NAME=VALUE] psql ...\n or \\setenv NAME [VALUE]
in interactive mode\n\n"));
+ printf(_(" PGPASSFILE password file (default ~/.pgpass)\n"));

Regards
MauMau

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Date: 2014-06-25 19:34:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello

Here is next update

> OK, let me help you, though I'm only a Japanese who is never confident in
> my English.
>
> (1)
> As Fujii-san pointed out, could you add explanation for --help-variables
> in doc/src/sgml/ref/psqlref.sgml?
>

> (2)
>
> + printf(_(" --help-variables list of available configuration
> variables (options), then exit\n"));
>
> should better be:
>
> + printf(_(" --help-variables show A list of all specially
> treated variables, then exit\n"));
>
> This follows the psql manual page. Similarly,
>
> + printf(_("List of variables (options) for use from command line.\n"));
>
> should be:
>
> + printf(_("List of specially treated variables.\n"));
>

> (3)
> + printf(_(" ECHO control what input can be writtent to
> standard output [all, queries]\n"));
>
> "writtent" should be "written". "controls" should be "control" like other
> options.
>

> (4)
> + printf(_(" ECHO_HIDDEN display internal queries (same as -E
> option)\n"));
>
> should better be:
>
> + printf(_(" ECHO_HIDDEN display internal queries executed by
> backslash commands\n"));
>
> I think "(same as ...)" can be omitted to keep the description short. If
> you want to retain it, other variables should also accompany similar
> description, such as -a for ECHO.
>

> (5)
> + printf(_(" FETCH_COUNT fetch many rows at a time (use less
> memory) (default 0 unlimited)\n"));
>
> should better be:
>
> + printf(_(" FETCH_COUNT the number of result rows to fetch and
> display at a time (default: 0=unlimited)\n"));
>

> (6)
> + printf(_(" HISTCONTROL when set, controls history list
> [ignorespace, ignoredups, ignoreboth]\n"));
>
> should better be:
>
> + printf(_(" HISTCONTROL control history list [ignorespace,
> ignoredups, ignoreboth]\n"));
>

> (7)
> + printf(_(" USER the database user currently
> connected\n"));
>
> should add "as" at the end:
>
> + printf(_(" USER the database user currently connected
> as\n"));
>

> (8)
> "Printing options" section lack the following ones described in psql
> manual:
>
> columns
> expanded (or x)
> footer
> numericlocale
> tableattr (or T)

fixed

> (9)
> + printf(_("\nEnvironment options:\n"));
>
> should be ""Environment variables". And this section lacks description
> for Windows, such as:
>
> + printf(_(" NAME=VALUE [NAME=VALUE] psql ...\n or \\setenv NAME [VALUE]
> in interactive mode\n\n"));
>
> + printf(_(" PGPASSFILE password file (default ~/.pgpass)\n"));

??? -

Regards

Pavel

> Regards
> MauMau

Attachment Content-Type Size
help-variables-05.patch text/x-patch 8.4 KB

From: "MauMau" <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Fujii Masao" <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Erik Rijkers" <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, "Petr Jelinek" <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Date: 2014-06-26 13:26:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

From: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
> fixed

Thank you. All is fine.

>> should be ""Environment variables". And this section lacks description
>> for Windows, such as:
>>
>> + printf(_(" NAME=VALUE [NAME=VALUE] psql ...\n or \\setenv NAME
>> [VALUE]
>> in interactive mode\n\n"));
>>
>> + printf(_(" PGPASSFILE password file (default ~/.pgpass)\n"));
>>

> ??? -

I meant that how to set environment variables on Windows command prompt is
different from on UNIX/Linux, and the default password file path is also
different on Windows. Do we describe them in this help?

Lastly, to follow most of your descriptions, "s" at the end of the first
verb in these messages should be removed. For example, use "set" instead of
"sets".

+ printf(_(" COMP_KEYWORD_CASE determines which letter case to use when
completing an SQL key word\n"));
+ printf(_(" columns sets the target width for the wrapped
format\n"));
+ printf(_(" linestyle sets the border line drawing style [ascii,
old-ascii, unicode]\n"));
+ printf(_(" recordsep specifies the record (line) separator to
use in unaligned output format\n"));
+ printf(_(" title sets the table title for any subsequently
printed tables\n"));

This is all I noticed in the review.

Regards
MauMau

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Date: 2014-06-26 13:35:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hello,
>
> From: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
>
>> fixed
>>

> Thank you. All is fine.
>

> should be ""Environment variables". And this section lacks description
>>> for Windows, such as:
>>>
>>> + printf(_(" NAME=VALUE [NAME=VALUE] psql ...\n or \\setenv NAME
>>> [VALUE]
>>> in interactive mode\n\n"));
>>>
>>> + printf(_(" PGPASSFILE password file (default ~/.pgpass)\n"));
>>>

>> ??? -
>>

> I meant that how to set environment variables on Windows command prompt is
> different from on UNIX/Linux, and the default password file path is also
> different on Windows. Do we describe them in this help?

hmm, I'll check it

Pavel

From: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-06-26 19:57:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I went through the patch, seems mostly fine, I adjusted some wording,
removed the default .pgpass file info since it's not accurate, and
replaced couple of phrases with (hopefully) more informative ones.

help-variables-06.patch text/x-diff 8.4 KB

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-06-27 06:54:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello

thank you Peter, so now only setting for MS Windows is missing?

Regards

Pavel

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-06-28 12:21:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello

I modified description of setting system variables in dependency on O.S.

Regards

Pavel

> Hello
>
> thank you Peter, so now only setting for MS Windows is missing?
>
> Regards
>
> Pavel

> Hello,
>>
>> I went through the patch, seems mostly fine, I adjusted some wording,
>> removed the default .pgpass file info since it's not accurate, and replaced
>> couple of phrases with (hopefully) more informative ones.
>>

>> --
>> Petr Jelinek http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
>>
>> PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services

Attachment Content-Type Size
help-variables-07.patch text/x-patch 8.6 KB

From: "MauMau" <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Petr Jelinek" <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Fujii Masao" <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Erik Rijkers" <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-06-28 22:48:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
> I modified description of setting system variables in dependency on O.S.

Thank you, it's almost OK. As mentioned in my previous mail, I think
"determines" should be "determine" to follow other messages. I'll mark this
patch as ready for committer when this is fixed.

+ printf(_(" COMP_KEYWORD_CASE determines which letter case to use when
completing an SQL key word\n"));

Personally, I don't think we have to describe how to set environment
variables, because it's preliminary knowledge and not specific to
PostgreSQL. However, I don't mind if you retain or remove the description.

Regards
MauMau

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-06-29 06:39:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

> From: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
>
> I modified description of setting system variables in dependency on O.S.
>>

> Thank you, it's almost OK. As mentioned in my previous mail, I think
> "determines" should be "determine" to follow other messages. I'll mark
> this patch as ready for committer when this is fixed.

fixes

> + printf(_(" COMP_KEYWORD_CASE determines which letter case to use when
> completing an SQL key word\n"));
>
> Personally, I don't think we have to describe how to set environment
> variables, because it's preliminary knowledge and not specific to
> PostgreSQL. However, I don't mind if you retain or remove the description.

ok

Regards

Pavel

> Regards
> MauMau

Attachment Content-Type Size
help-variables-08.patch text/x-patch 8.6 KB

From: "MauMau" <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Petr Jelinek" <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Fujii Masao" <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Erik Rijkers" <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-06-29 11:35:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks, I marked it as ready for committer. I hope Fujii san or another
committer will commit this, refining English expression if necessary.

Regards
MauMau

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-06-29 13:20:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Thanks, I marked it as ready for committer. I hope Fujii san or another
> committer will commit this, refining English expression if necessary.

sure

Thank you very much

Regards

Pavel

From: Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-06-29 13:24:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 2014-06-29 20:35:04 +0900, maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:

> Thanks, I marked it as ready for committer. I hope Fujii san or
> another committer will commit this, refining English expression if
> necessary.

Since it was just a matter of editing, I went through the patch and
corrected various minor errors (typos, awkwardness, etc.). I agree
that this is now ready for committer.

I've attached the updated diff.

-- Abhijit

Attachment Content-Type Size
help-variables-09.patch text/x-diff 8.6 KB

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-06-29 20:13:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> At 2014-06-29 20:35:04 +0900, maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
> >
> > Thanks, I marked it as ready for committer. I hope Fujii san or
> > another committer will commit this, refining English expression if
> > necessary.
>
> Since it was just a matter of editing, I went through the patch and
> corrected various minor errors (typos, awkwardness, etc.). I agree
> that this is now ready for committer.
>
> I've attached the updated diff.

I checked it, and it looks well

Thank you

Regards

Pavel

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-08-19 15:06:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Abhijit Menon-Sen wrote:
> At 2014-06-29 20:35:04 +0900, maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
> >
> > Thanks, I marked it as ready for committer. I hope Fujii san or
> > another committer will commit this, refining English expression if
> > necessary.
>
> Since it was just a matter of editing, I went through the patch and
> corrected various minor errors (typos, awkwardness, etc.). I agree
> that this is now ready for committer.

FWIW I think "determines" was correct.

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-08-26 11:20:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2014-06-29 18:54:50 +0530, Abhijit Menon-Sen wrote:
> At 2014-06-29 20:35:04 +0900, maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
> >
> > Thanks, I marked it as ready for committer. I hope Fujii san or
> > another committer will commit this, refining English expression if
> > necessary.
>
> Since it was just a matter of editing, I went through the patch and
> corrected various minor errors (typos, awkwardness, etc.). I agree
> that this is now ready for committer.
>
> I've attached the updated diff.

I'm looking at committing this, but I wonder: Shouldn't this be
accessible from inside psql as well? I.e. as a backslash command?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

From: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-08-26 11:30:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 26/08/14 13:20, Andres Freund wrote:

> I'm looking at committing this, but I wonder: Shouldn't this be
> accessible from inside psql as well? I.e. as a backslash command?

+1

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-08-26 11:44:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 26/08/14 13:20, Andres Freund wrote:
>

>> I'm looking at committing this, but I wonder: Shouldn't this be
>> accessible from inside psql as well? I.e. as a backslash command?
>>

> +1

have you idea about command name? \?+

Pavel

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-08-26 11:48:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2014-08-26 13:44:16 +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> > On 26/08/14 13:20, Andres Freund wrote:
> >

> >> I'm looking at committing this, but I wonder: Shouldn't this be
> >> accessible from inside psql as well? I.e. as a backslash command?
> >>

> > +1
> >

> have you idea about command name? \?+

Some ideas:

\hv
\help-variables
\? set
\? variables

Greetings,

Andres Freund

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-08-27 20:48:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

I chose \? xxx, because it is related to psql features. I wrote commands:

\? options
\? variables

comments?

Regards

Pavel

> > > +1
> > >

> > have you idea about command name? \?+
>
> Some ideas:
>
> \hv
> \help-variables
> \? set
> \? variables
>

> Greetings,
>
> Andres Freund
>
> --
> Andres Freund http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

help-variables-10.patch text/x-patch 20.4 KB

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-08-28 11:20:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2014-08-27 22:48:54 +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Hi
>
> I chose \? xxx, because it is related to psql features. I wrote commands:
>
> \? options
> \? variables
>
> comments?

Generall I like it.

Some stuff I changed:
* I rephrased the sgml changes
* s/Printing options/Display options/. Or maybe "Display influencing
variables"? That makes it clearer why they're listed under
--help-variables.
* I added \? commands as an alias for a plain \?
That way the scheme can sensibly be expanded.
* I renamed help_variables() to be inline with the surrounding functions.

Stuff I wondered about:
* How about making it --help=variables instead of --help-variables? That
* Do we really need the 'Report bugs to' blurb for --help-variables?
* Since we're not exhaustive about documenting environment variales, do
we really need to document TMPDIR and SHELL?
* Shouldn't we document that PROMPT1 is the standard prompt, PROMPT2 is
for already started statements, and PROMPT3 is for COPY FROM STDIN?

Looks like it's commitable next round.

I've attached a incremental patch.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

help-variables-10--11.diff text/x-diff 29 bytes

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-08-28 11:54:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 8:20 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2014-08-27 22:48:54 +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I chose \? xxx, because it is related to psql features. I wrote commands:
>>
>> \? options
>> \? variables
>>
>> comments?
>
> Generall I like it.
>
> Some stuff I changed:
> * I rephrased the sgml changes
> * s/Printing options/Display options/. Or maybe "Display influencing
> variables"? That makes it clearer why they're listed under
> --help-variables.
> * I added \? commands as an alias for a plain \?
> That way the scheme can sensibly be expanded.
> * I renamed help_variables() to be inline with the surrounding functions.
>
> Stuff I wondered about:
> * How about making it --help=variables instead of --help-variables? That
> * Do we really need the 'Report bugs to' blurb for --help-variables?
> * Since we're not exhaustive about documenting environment variales, do
> we really need to document TMPDIR and SHELL?
> * Shouldn't we document that PROMPT1 is the standard prompt, PROMPT2 is
> for already started statements, and PROMPT3 is for COPY FROM STDIN?
>
> Looks like it's commitable next round.
>
> I've attached a incremental patch.

ISTM that you failed to attach the right patch.
help-variables-10--11.diff contains only one line.

Fujii Masao

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-08-28 11:54:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2014-08-28 13:20:07 +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> I've attached a incremental patch.

Apparently I didn't attach the patch, as so much a file containing the
name of the patchfile...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

help-variables-10--11.diff text/x-diff 4.6 KB

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-08-28 11:57:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hi,
>
> On 2014-08-27 22:48:54 +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I chose \? xxx, because it is related to psql features. I wrote commands:
> >
> > \? options
> > \? variables
> >
> > comments?
>
> Generall I like it.
>
> Some stuff I changed:
> * I rephrased the sgml changes
> * s/Printing options/Display options/. Or maybe "Display influencing
> variables"? That makes it clearer why they're listed under
> --help-variables.
> * I added \? commands as an alias for a plain \?
> That way the scheme can sensibly be expanded.
> * I renamed help_variables() to be inline with the surrounding functions.
>
> Stuff I wondered about:
> * How about making it --help=variables instead of --help-variables? That

I am sorry, I don't like this idea --help-variables is much more usual for
cmd line

> * Do we really need the 'Report bugs to' blurb for --help-variables?
>

> * Since we're not exhaustive about documenting environment variales, do
> we really need to document TMPDIR and SHELL?
> * Shouldn't we document that PROMPT1 is the standard prompt, PROMPT2 is
> for already started statements, and PROMPT3 is for COPY FROM STDIN?

I don't see TMPDIR, SHELL as really important in this position

Pavel

From: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-08-28 12:04:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 28/08/14 13:20, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Stuff I wondered about:
> * How about making it --help=variables instead of --help-variables?

-1, help is not a variable to be assigned imho

> * Do we really need the 'Report bugs to' blurb for --help-variables?

Probably not.

> * Since we're not exhaustive about documenting environment variales, do
> we really need to document TMPDIR and SHELL?

They are bit more important than most of others, but probably not really
necessary to be there as they are not psql specific.

> * Shouldn't we document that PROMPT1 is the standard prompt, PROMPT2 is
> for already started statements, and PROMPT3 is for COPY FROM STDIN?

Yes please!

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-08-28 12:22:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 5:48 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> comments?

+ fprintf(output, _(" ECHO control what input is
written to standard output [all, queries]\n"));

The valid values in the help messages should be consistent with
the values that the tab-completion displays. So in the case of ECHO,
"errors" and "none" also should be added in the message. Thought?

In the help messages of some psql variables like ECHO_HIDDEN, valid
values are not explained. Why not?

Fujii Masao

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-08-28 12:34:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 5:48 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > comments?
>
> + fprintf(output, _(" ECHO control what input is
> written to standard output [all, queries]\n"));
>
> The valid values in the help messages should be consistent with
> the values that the tab-completion displays. So in the case of ECHO,
> "errors" and "none" also should be added in the message. Thought?
>
> In the help messages of some psql variables like ECHO_HIDDEN, valid
> values are not explained. Why not?

it is based on http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/app-psql.html

ECHO_HIDDEN

When this variable is set and a backslash command queries the database, the
query is first shown. This way you can study the PostgreSQL internals and
provide similar functionality in your own programs. (To select this
behavior on program start-up, use the switch -E.) If you set the variable
to the value noexec, the queries are just shown but are not actually sent
to the server and executed.
There are no clear a set of valid values :( .. When I found a known fields
in doc, I used it.

Regards

Pavel

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-08-28 15:20:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2014-08-28 14:04:27 +0200, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> On 28/08/14 13:20, Andres Freund wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Stuff I wondered about:
> >* How about making it --help=variables instead of --help-variables?
>
> -1, help is not a variable to be assigned imho

I don't think variable assignment is a good mental model for long
commandline arguments. And it's not like I'm the first to come up with
an extensible --help. Check e.g. gcc.

But anyway, I guess I've lost that argument.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-09-01 09:52:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 9:34 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 5:48 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
>> wrote:
>> > comments?
>>
>> + fprintf(output, _(" ECHO control what input is
>> written to standard output [all, queries]\n"));
>>
>> The valid values in the help messages should be consistent with
>> the values that the tab-completion displays. So in the case of ECHO,
>> "errors" and "none" also should be added in the message. Thought?
>>
>> In the help messages of some psql variables like ECHO_HIDDEN, valid
>> values are not explained. Why not?
>

> it is based on http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/app-psql.html
>
> ECHO_HIDDEN
>
> When this variable is set and a backslash command queries the database, the
> query is first shown. This way you can study the PostgreSQL internals and
> provide similar functionality in your own programs. (To select this behavior
> on program start-up, use the switch -E.) If you set the variable to the
> value noexec, the queries are just shown but are not actually sent to the
> server and executed.
>
> There are no clear a set of valid values :( .. When I found a known fields
> in doc, I used it.

At least "noexec" seems to be documented as a valid value. Of course,
it's better to document other valid values.

Fujii Masao

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-09-03 07:35:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello

fixed ECHO, ECHO_HIDDEN, PROPMPT

Regards

Pavel

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 9:34 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:

> >> + fprintf(output, _(" ECHO control what input is
> >> written to standard output [all, queries]\n"));
> >>
> >> The valid values in the help messages should be consistent with
> >> the values that the tab-completion displays. So in the case of ECHO,
> >> "errors" and "none" also should be added in the message. Thought?
> >>
> >> In the help messages of some psql variables like ECHO_HIDDEN, valid
> >> values are not explained. Why not?
> >

> > it is based on http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/app-psql.html
> >
> > ECHO_HIDDEN
> >
> > When this variable is set and a backslash command queries the database,
> the
> > query is first shown. This way you can study the PostgreSQL internals and
> > provide similar functionality in your own programs. (To select this
> behavior
> > on program start-up, use the switch -E.) If you set the variable to the
> > value noexec, the queries are just shown but are not actually sent to the
> > server and executed.
> >
> > There are no clear a set of valid values :( .. When I found a known
> fields
> > in doc, I used it.
>
> At least "noexec" seems to be documented as a valid value. Of course,
> it's better to document other valid values.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Fujii Masao

Attachment Content-Type Size
help-variables-11.patch text/x-patch 20.7 KB

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-09-04 02:25:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 11:20 AM, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> >* How about making it --help=variables instead of --help-variables?
>>
>> -1, help is not a variable to be assigned imho
>
> I don't think variable assignment is a good mental model for long
> commandline arguments. And it's not like I'm the first to come up with
> an extensible --help. Check e.g. gcc.
>
> But anyway, I guess I've lost that argument.

I think it mostly depends on how far we think we might extend it. I
mean, --help-variables is fine as a parallel to --help. But if we're
eventually going to have help for 12 things, --help=TOPIC is a lot
better than 12 separate switches. So +0.5 for your proposal from me.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-09-04 07:21:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

here is a second variant with support --help=variables

Regards

Pavel

> >> -1, help is not a variable to be assigned imho
> >
> > I don't think variable assignment is a good mental model for long
> > commandline arguments. And it's not like I'm the first to come up with
> > an extensible --help. Check e.g. gcc.
> >
> > But anyway, I guess I've lost that argument.
>
> I think it mostly depends on how far we think we might extend it. I
> mean, --help-variables is fine as a parallel to --help. But if we're
> eventually going to have help for 12 things, --help=TOPIC is a lot
> better than 12 separate switches. So +0.5 for your proposal from me.
>
> --
> Robert Haas
> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
help-variables-12.patch text/x-patch 21.8 KB

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-09-09 16:25:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2014-08-28 13:54:28 +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2014-08-28 13:20:07 +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> > I've attached a incremental patch.
>
> Apparently I didn't attach the patch, as so much a file containing the
> name of the patchfile...

Which you obviously didn't integrate. And didn't comment on. Grr.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-09-09 20:22:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Given we already have three topics for --help and I can see others I
went with my --help= proposal.

On 2014-08-28 13:20:07 +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> Some stuff I changed:
> * I rephrased the sgml changes
> * s/Printing options/Display options/. Or maybe "Display influencing
> variables"? That makes it clearer why they're listed under
> --help-variables.
> * I added \? commands as an alias for a plain \?
> That way the scheme can sensibly be expanded.
> * I renamed help_variables() to be inline with the surrounding functions.

I integrated all those ontop of your help-variables-12.patch.

Then I:
* re-added psql -i which you, probably accidentally, removed
* rephrased the sgml stuff
* removed the "Report bugs to " from helpVariables()
* Changed things so that both --help and \? support "commands",
"options" and "variables" as help topics
* fixed things so that --help=wrongoption returns a proper exit code
again

I attached both the full and the incremental diff. I'd appreciate
somebody looking over the the docs...

I plan to push this soon.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

help-variables-13.patch text/x-patch 23.2 KB
help-variables-12--13.diff text/x-diff 9.6 KB

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-09-09 22:13:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2014-09-09 22:22:45 +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> I plan to push this soon.

Done.

Thanks for the patch!

Andres Freund

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Date: 2014-09-10 17:35:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2014-09-09 22:22:45 +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> > I plan to push this soon.
>
> Done.
>
> Thanks for the patch!

Thank you very much