Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)

Lists: pgsql-advocacy
From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Andy Astor <andy(dot)astor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date: 2007-09-01 23:02:19
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andy Astor <andy(dot)astor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2007-09-02 01:26:34
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 9/1/2007 7:02 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> PostgreSQL is the *formal name*, while Postgres is the *trade name* ... call it
> whichever you want, people will know what you are talking about ... get over it.

I could get over it, if this topic as well as the ugly Postgre sh*t it
causes as a side effect would ever stop popping up. But it seems to me
however often we "get over it", the problem only submerges to pop up
again for the next release. Could it be that "getting over it" is kinda
like playing ostrich - AGAIN, and that the numerous times we "got over
it" only made the situation worse by reinforcing a mistake made long ago?

I suggest we someday stop "getting over it" and instead "get done with
it". Because rest assured, otherwise it'll be back again ... and again.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #

On 9/1/07, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
> I could get over it, if this topic as well as the ugly Postgre sh*t it
> causes as a side effect would ever stop popping up. But it seems to me
> however often we "get over it", the problem only submerges to pop up
> again for the next release. Could it be that "getting over it" is kinda
> like playing ostrich - AGAIN, and that the numerous times we "got over
> it" only made the situation worse by reinforcing a mistake made long ago?

I agree.

> I suggest we someday stop "getting over it" and instead "get done with
> it". Because rest assured, otherwise it'll be back again ... and again.

Again, I agree. Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it;
a seemingly continual trend in the Postgres community whether it's
feature or business-related. Ignoring a problem does not make it
disappear.

Throughout this discussion, it seems like the majority of people
against the name change, with the exception of those from Greenplum
and EnterpriseDB, are those who have a financial stake in it. And, as
JD suggested that EnterpriseDB's brand could be strengthened by the
name change, I just wanted to say that EnterpriseDB has never
suggested, in any way, that its community members should support the
Postgres name. It is my own personal opinion that Postgres is a
better name.

I understand the valid concerns made by the Postgres user groups and
by Gabriele Bartolini over printed PostgreSQL stuff like shirts and
materials. Trust me, it *will* be fine to distribute them until they
run out. Perhaps a lot of people here haven't been on eBay lately,
because collectible IT stuff goes quickly. No one will have a problem
accepting a PostgreSQL t-shirt if the name changes to Postgres.

Don't get me wrong. It will cost money to redo all the marketing
material if people feel that it's required immediately; which I don't.
Will CMD have to change it's tagline from, "The PostgreSQL Company"
to, "The Postgres Company"? That's a *business decision* for CMD, not
something that should affect a *community decision*.

Frankly, from what I've seen in the 7 or so years I've been working
with Postgres, the name PostgreSQL is definitely a problem. When all
of us were at the 10th anniversary, I don't recall a single person
talking about Postgres in discussion as PostgreSQL. If I had a dollar
for the number of times I heard it pronounced Postgre, I'd be quite
rich. The name PostgreSQL is just plain difficult for people.

IMHO, keeping the status quo will only continue to perpetuate advocacy
issues. Regardless, this thread has gone on for a *long* time and all
the debatable topics seem to be on the table. At some point, a vote
needs to be made.

I think the first decision should be on whether the name needs to be
changed. If it is decided to be changed, the next vote should be to
decide on when the name should be changed (8.3, 8.4, 9.0).

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation | fax: 732.331.1301

> On 9/1/07, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
>> I could get over it, if this topic as well as the ugly Postgre sh*t it
>> causes as a side effect would ever stop popping up. But it seems to me
>> however often we "get over it", the problem only submerges to pop up
>> again for the next release. Could it be that "getting over it" is kinda
>> like playing ostrich - AGAIN, and that the numerous times we "got over
>> it" only made the situation worse by reinforcing a mistake made long ago?
>
> I agree.
>
>> I suggest we someday stop "getting over it" and instead "get done with
>> it". Because rest assured, otherwise it'll be back again ... and again.
>
> Again, I agree. Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it;
> a seemingly continual trend in the Postgres community whether it's
> feature or business-related. Ignoring a problem does not make it
> disappear.

same goes for ignoring problems the move might cause - like we had
several of the large communities (french,italian and japanese) already
objecting for a switch like that hurting them.
And one other aspect is very much a problem too - we have WAY less
control over a number of key postgres.* domains (postgres.jp is not
registered, postgres.eu is registered to some weird place as is say
postgres.at or postgres.us).
And I suspect this is only the tip of the iceberg of related problems.

> Throughout this discussion, it seems like the majority of people
> against the name change, with the exception of those from Greenplum
> and EnterpriseDB, are those who have a financial stake in it. And, as
> JD suggested that EnterpriseDB's brand could be strengthened by the
> name change, I just wanted to say that EnterpriseDB has never
> suggested, in any way, that its community members should support the
> Postgres name. It is my own personal opinion that Postgres is a
> better name.

it might be a better name(or not) but a switch like that involves much
more than simply saying "oh this is our new name" - I'm fairly convinced
that playing games with our name will hurt us (and the active community
at a large) for a while in a period where postgresql is gaining insight
into a lot of places that it had not before and I'm not sure that
changing names after years of years of having another will give
confidence to (management style) people.

> I understand the valid concerns made by the Postgres user groups and
> by Gabriele Bartolini over printed PostgreSQL stuff like shirts and
> materials. Trust me, it *will* be fine to distribute them until they
> run out. Perhaps a lot of people here haven't been on eBay lately,
> because collectible IT stuff goes quickly. No one will have a problem
> accepting a PostgreSQL t-shirt if the name changes to Postgres.

well those people invested a lot of personal time and money into all
that stuff (and I'm sure all that attended say pgday.it will fully
agree) and either way you phrase it it will cost them money and time to
come up with replacement merchandising.
This is time and money invested from people on there own pocket not
employed or supported by one of the dedicated postgresql companies or
being payed to work on postgresql full time so you are actually asking a
lot for here.

Stefan

I don't agree on some things people opposing the name change
continue saying.

Stefan, you just mentioned two of them, and I can't
resist... ;)

> it might be a better name(or not) but a switch like that involves much
> more than simply saying "oh this is our new name" - I'm fairly convinced
> that playing games with our name will hurt us (and the active community
> at a large) for a while in a period where postgresql is gaining insight
> into a lot of places that it had not before and I'm not sure that
> changing names after years of years of having another will give
> confidence to (management style) people.

This would be a good argument against changing name to something
completeley different - say - "SushiDB".

Going from PostgreSQL -> Postgres, you wouldn't loose any brand
recognization, would you?

What about "Oracle9i" -> "Oracle Database 10g" then?

> well those people invested a lot of personal time and money into all
> that stuff (and I'm sure all that attended say pgday.it will fully
> agree) and either way you phrase it it will cost them money and time to
> come up with replacement merchandising.
> This is time and money invested from people on there own pocket not
> employed or supported by one of the dedicated postgresql companies or
> being payed to work on postgresql full time so you are actually asking a
> lot for here.

Replacement merchandising?
There's no sense *throwing away* PostgreSQL T-shirts and stuff if the
name changes. 90% of people who get them do it in support of the project and
will get them anyway.

I will personally buy 10 T-Shirts from Gabriele if the name changes ;)

Bye,
Chris.