Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)

From: "Gabriele Bartolini" <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Andy Astor" <andy(dot)astor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Stefan Kaltenbrunner" <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Jan Wieck" <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, "Joshua Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date: 2007-09-03 10:55:14
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Ciao Andy,

Non-English Groups
> ------------------
> I've carefully read all the objections, including those of the non-English
> PG organizations. But I don't believe anyone against this proposal
> mentioned
> that Alvaro strongly supported the name change from his (Spanish)
> perspective.

If you carefully read my post, I was not objecting the change of the name
itself, for which I leave myself to a democratic decision (I even suggested
the core team to take this decision).

I personally agree that "Postgres" sounds heaps better than "PostgreSQL" in
Italian - we discussed this during PGDay too. And that's the name that
people normally use to refer to it in Italy. I am sure that's the same issue
for the latin speaking countries (including Spanish, French and Portuguese),
but that does not mean that a name change is required.

As you can see, from a purely language based point of view, you get no
objections from me: "Postgres" is better than "PostgreSQL". But you can't
ignore the communities problems that - at least in the short term - we will
face. I believe that's a bit disrispectful and it cannot be left to the
case.

Also, I am not aware of any Spanish community at the moment - actually
nobody from Spain ever took part to the organisation of PGDay and the
European Group or even marginally got involved.

I am objecting the way this change will eventually occur. It must be planned
and it must be promoted, because it takes time to re-organise everything,
and I believe:

1) this is morally *due* to the national communities (yes, I think it is the
least that can be done)
2) this looks way more *professional* at the eyes of the companies

Thank you.

Ciao,
Gabriele

P.S.: Chris, do you really want to buy 10 shirts? :)