Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)

From: "Shashank Tripathi" <shashank(dot)tripathi(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date: 2007-09-03 02:14:43
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Quite a long thread, this. My full support for the idea of taking it
into an online poll and perhaps having a comment feature so people
could leave their rationale.

FWIW, everyone I have ever spoken to calls it Postgres. They always
write PostgreSQL, with the correct spelling. I am in Asia and work
with people from all over the world.

As for Google, I think people misunderstand. It works through
references and semantic interpolations in the background. If
"postgres.org" becomes the *official* domain name and the site
mentions both postgres and postgresql in its header, it'll be a cinch
for Google to associate all the legacy sites talking about
"postgresql" with the new shorter name. So using search engines' stash
as an argument for or against the name change doesn't hold any water.
Just look at the name changes in other DB or software camps.

Shanx