Re: pg_migrator to /contrib in a later 9.0 beta

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: pg_migrator
Date: 2010-04-27 01:26:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

There was talk of including pg_migrator in Postgres 9.0 in /contrib. Do
we still want to do that?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_migrator
Date: 2010-04-27 01:32:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> There was talk of including pg_migrator in Postgres 9.0 in /contrib.  Do
> we still want to do that?

I think you articulated some pretty good reasons previously for
keeping it separate and, at any rate, I'm not eager to do it at the
11th hour without due consideration and adequate engineering time. So
I vote for holding off for this release and possibly revisiting at
some point down the road.

...Robert

> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> > There was talk of including pg_migrator in Postgres 9.0 in /contrib. ?Do
> > we still want to do that?
>
> I think you articulated some pretty good reasons previously for
> keeping it separate and, at any rate, I'm not eager to do it at the
> 11th hour without due consideration and adequate engineering time. So
> I vote for holding off for this release and possibly revisiting at
> some point down the road.

You might also remember I was outvoted. It will not be hard to put it
in /contrib as that is already a valid build option for pg_migrator.

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 9:46 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>> > There was talk of including pg_migrator in Postgres 9.0 in /contrib. ?Do
>> > we still want to do that?
>>
>> I think you articulated some pretty good reasons previously for
>> keeping it separate and, at any rate, I'm not eager to do it at the
>> 11th hour without due consideration and adequate engineering time.  So
>> I vote for holding off for this release and possibly revisiting at
>> some point down the road.
>
> You might also remember I was outvoted.  It will not be hard to put it
> in /contrib as that is already a valid build option for pg_migrator.

[shrug...]

If that's the consensus I'll go along with it, but I'm not excited
about adding more things to our to-do list at this point, even
apparently simple ones.

...Robert

> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>> There was talk of including pg_migrator in Postgres 9.0 in /contrib. Do
>> we still want to do that?

> I think you articulated some pretty good reasons previously for
> keeping it separate and, at any rate, I'm not eager to do it at the
> 11th hour without due consideration and adequate engineering time.

I concur; it's about a month too late to propose this.

regards, tom lane

> > On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> >> There was talk of including pg_migrator in Postgres 9.0 in /contrib. Do
> >> we still want to do that?
>
> > I think you articulated some pretty good reasons previously for
> > keeping it separate and, at any rate, I'm not eager to do it at the
> > 11th hour without due consideration and adequate engineering time.
>
> I concur; it's about a month too late to propose this.

I am confused why it is late. We add to /contrib even during beta, and
I didn't bring it up earlier because I didn't want to be pushing my own
software. Was someone else supposed to suggest it a month ago?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

>> I concur; it's about a month too late to propose this.
>>

> I am confused why it is late. We add to /contrib even during beta, and
> I didn't bring it up earlier because I didn't want to be pushing my own
> software. Was someone else supposed to suggest it a month ago?

Bruce,

you're not usually such a shrinking violet. If you don't push your
project it's less likely others will, IMNSHO.

cheers

andrew

> >> I concur; it's about a month too late to propose this.
> >>

> > I am confused why it is late. We add to /contrib even during beta, and
> > I didn't bring it up earlier because I didn't want to be pushing my own
> > software. Was someone else supposed to suggest it a month ago?
> >

> Bruce,
>
> you're not usually such a shrinking violet. If you don't push your
> project it's less likely others will, IMNSHO.

Well, I am sensitive to be pushing my external project into /contrib when
I am someone who puts other stuff into contrib, and I have been working
on pg_migrator for only one year.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

> > On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> >> There was talk of including pg_migrator in Postgres 9.0 in /contrib. Do
> >> we still want to do that?
>
> > I think you articulated some pretty good reasons previously for
> > keeping it separate and, at any rate, I'm not eager to do it at the
> > 11th hour without due consideration and adequate engineering time.
>
> I concur; it's about a month too late to propose this.

I talked to a few people personally about this, and it seems there was a
misunderstanding. I was not asking if pg_migrator should be in 9.0
beta1. I was asking if we should think about putting it into a later
9.0 beta, like 9.0 beta3. It would be another major 9.0 feature.

Because pg_migrator is an external project, it seemed best to do it
after beta1, while we are just waiting for bug reports, and not during
our main push to beta1.

FYI, here was the last discussion about having pg_migrator in /contrib
in December 2009:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-12/msg01787.php

and most of the limitations of pg_migrator are gone when migrating to
9.0, even from Postgres 8.3. This could help beta testers move their
data to 9.0 as well.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

> and most of the limitations of pg_migrator are gone when migrating to
> 9.0, even from Postgres 8.3. This could help beta testers move their
> data to 9.0 as well.

Wouldn't this help even for beta1?

Cheers

Mark