Re: pg_migrator to /contrib in a later 9.0 beta

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_migrator to /contrib in a later 9.0 beta
Date: 2010-05-02 17:21:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On l?r, 2010-05-01 at 17:26 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I am unclear why it would be in /bin if it requires 15 steps to run
> > and is run only once by only some users. It seems natural
> > for /contrib, like pgcrypto.
>
> Well, pg_resetxlog is also rarely run by most users. It started in
> contrib but was later moved to bin in order to show that it is fully
> supported.

Yea, it is like pg_resetxlog. The only counter-argument I can think of
is that we decided that everyone should have the pg_resetxlog binary
available, and not have to scramble around to install it in case of a
problem, but I will admit that is a thin argument.

> Also, I think the 15 steps are a bit inflated. Several of those steps
> are about building and installing various pieces of software. If you
> count that way, using PostgreSQL itself might also require about 12
> steps. In a packaged environment that allows side-by-side installation
> of major versions (such as Debian or Windows), you need about 4 or 5
> manual steps, and with a small script layer you need only 1 or 0.

Well, that is good news.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com