Odd behavior observed

Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
From: John Meyer <john(dot)l(dot)meyer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: vista
Date: 2006-09-19 03:07:09
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

has anybody gotten postgresql to install successfully under Windows Vista?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: John Meyer <john(dot)l(dot)meyer(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vista
Date: 2006-09-19 03:32:24
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

John Meyer wrote:
> has anybody gotten postgresql to install successfully under Windows Vista?

It's not out yet ;)

http://www.commandprompt.com/

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2006-09-19 04:34:25
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2006-09-19 04:42:53
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net> writes:
> On 09/18/06 22:32, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> John Meyer wrote:
>>> has anybody gotten postgresql to install successfully under Windows
>>> Vista?
>>
>> It's not out yet ;)

> Release Candidates are, for the very purpose of allowing ISVs to
> have their s/w ready on time.

> But then, people who use Windows are just as scurvy as those scurvy
> dogs who use PHP and MySQL. Arrrr.

Well, we are entirely ready to accept patches from any Windows Vista
beta testers who are able to find and fix portability issues.

It's the folks who think that non-Windows-using developers should care
about Vista that bug me. This is open-source code, people. Scratch
your own itch.

regards, tom lane

> Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net> writes:

>>> It's not out yet ;)
>>>

>> Release Candidates are, for the very purpose of allowing ISVs to
>> have their s/w ready on time.
>>

>> But then, people who use Windows are just as scurvy as those scurvy
>> dogs who use PHP and MySQL. Arrrr.
>>

> Well, we are entirely ready to accept patches from any Windows Vista
> beta testers who are able to find and fix portability issues.
>
> It's the folks who think that non-Windows-using developers should care
> about Vista that bug me. This is open-source code, people. Scratch
> your own itch.

One issue I've found in installation is that you are unable to create
the user postgresql (and yes, I have run it in Administrator mode)

> > Well, we are entirely ready to accept patches from any Windows
> Vista
> > beta testers who are able to find and fix portability issues.
> >
> > It's the folks who think that non-Windows-using developers should
> care
> > about Vista that bug me. This is open-source code, people.
> Scratch
> > your own itch.
> >

> One issue I've found in installation is that you are unable to
> create the user postgresql (and yes, I have run it in Administrator
> mode)

What error, exactly, did you get? Can you please open a bug for it on
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pginstaller, as this is clearly an
installer issue and not a backend issue.

Did it work well once you had created the user manually?

//Magnus

If it would run under VMWare, I would, however the last CTP wouldn't
when I tested it (at the PG code sprint in fact). There is an update to
VMWare that I don't have yet though, so if I get time I'll try that
somewhen, but frankly it's low priority.

Regards, Dave.