Re: vista

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vista
Date: 2006-09-19 16:15:40
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

naz(at)mira(dot)net (Naz Gassiep) writes:
>> It's the folks who think that non-Windows-using developers should care
>> about Vista that bug me. This is open-source code, people. Scratch
>> your own itch.
>>
> The "scratch your own itch" line can only be pushed so far, if it is
> being said by a developer who works on a project that desires to be
> taken seriously by professionals in industry. For minor features, yes,
> perhaps it could be argued that the core team could ignore certain
> issues, and just wait for a patch. For something like Vista
> compatibility, if you want to be taken seriously by anyone who uses
> Windows (hands up anyone who knows a Windows user), "scratch your own
> itch" is not really going to cut it, IMHO. I'm used to getting that
> line when talking to 2 developer obscure projects that have a userbase
> of a half a dozen, but for a project like PostgreSQL, the "they tell
> you to do it yourself" brush is one we do NOT want to get tarred with.
>
> If we don't have the resources to cope with a Vista port immediately
> then so be it. If it's low priority, so be it. However, lets not
> appear to deride as unnecessary that which we cannot immediately
> provide a solution to. That's small time project mentality.

Well, the same issue has come up with the subproject that I work on,
namely Slony-I, and the nature of things seems much the same.

*I* don't use Windows, haven't got any relevant build environment,
and, organizationally, really couldn't care less if PostgreSQL or
Slony-I runs on Windows or not, as Windows isn't a relevant platform.
Asking me about Windows support in *any* context is pretty much
useless; as far as I'm concerned, Windows support requires finding
someone who has that particular itch.

It turns out that there are people with a Windows itch, and I haven't
turned away patches to provide Windows support due to its irrelevance
to me. No, I'm pleased enough to see that come in.

But if you present Windows-related issues to me, I see nothing
improper in saying "scratch your own itch." I'm *not* the right one
to help, and the community is large enough that I don't see any
problem with that.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'cbbrowne.com';
http://linuxfinances.info/info/advocacy.html