Re: Debian package for freeradius_postgresql module

Lists: pgsql-general
From: lmyho <lm_yho(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Debian package for freeradius_postgresql module
Date: 2006-04-06 17:27:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello All,

We have a project which is built on postgresql and freeradius on debian system. I
have installed postgresql-8.1 on the Debian system, and lately freeradius-1.1.0
also. Things seems ok, but when we started to test, we found that the postgresql
module of freeradius is missing in the debian distribution!

After desperately checking, we were told that debian doesn't distribute the binary
module of freeradius for postgresql because of the incompatible license of these two
apps! However we can build the debian pkg from the source ourself if we need. So
we did it. But this problem: we got so many...so many warnings during the process
of building the debian packages, tons of the warnings! So although we have the
packages now, we don't know if we can use them with so many so many warnings??!

I want to post some of the warnings here for your advice. Please tell me with such
kind of warnings, will the built packages still usable?? Further more, I am afraid
it is because our system is not purly dev system, so that we got those warnings...
so, if any one of you could possibly help us to get a v1.1.0 postgresql module of
freeradius, I would be so much grateful!! Or, if you can help us to get the newest
v1.1.1 freeradius package set fro debian (include the postgresql module), that will
be great also! I deeply hope to get help from you...

We specifically need this module bacause the codes in postgresql to work with
freeradius have been built, can't imagine all work will be trashed...:(

Please see the warning samples:

radius.c: In function 'make_secret':
radius.c:167: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of 'librad_MD5Update'
differ in signedness
radius.c: In function 'make_passwd':
radius.c:205: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of 'librad_MD5Update'
differ in signedness
radius.c: In function 'make_tunnel_passwd':
radius.c:294: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of 'librad_MD5Update'
differ in signedness

rlm_passwd.c: In function 'build_hash_table':
rlm_passwd.c:218: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'hash' differ in
signedness
rlm_passwd.c:232: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'hash' differ in
signedness
rlm_passwd.c: In function 'get_pw_nam':
rlm_passwd.c:299: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'hash' differ in
signedness
rlm_passwd.c: In function 'passwd_authorize':
rlm_passwd.c:536: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness
rlm_preprocess.c: In function 'cisco_vsa_hack':
rlm_preprocess.c:126: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of
'__builtin_strchr' differ in signedness
rlm_preprocess.c:144: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness
rlm_preprocess.c: In function 'rad_mangle':
rlm_preprocess.c:203: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of
'__builtin_strchr' differ in signedness
rlm_preprocess.c:206: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'strcpy'
differ in signedness
rlm_preprocess.c: In function 'huntgroup_access':
rlm_preprocess.c:375: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'strNcpy'
differ in signedness
rlm_preprocess.c:376: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'strlen'
differ in signedness
rlm_preprocess.c: In function 'add_nas_attr':
rlm_preprocess.c:404: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of
'ip_hostname' differ in signedness
rlm_preprocess.c:425: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of
'ip_hostname' differ in signedness
rlm_radutmp.c: In function 'radutmp_checksimul':
rlm_radutmp.c:658: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness
rlm_realm.c: In function 'check_for_realm':
rlm_realm.c:209: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'strcpy' differ
in signedness
rlm_sql.c: In function 'sql_groupcmp':
rlm_sql.c:564: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'strlen' differ in
signedness
rlm_sql.c:564: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of '__builtin_strcmp'
differ in signedness
rlm_sql.c:564: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of '__builtin_strcmp'
differ in signedness
rlm_sql.c:564: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'strlen' differ in
signedness
rlm_sql.c:564: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of '__builtin_strcmp'
differ in signedness
rlm_sql.c:564: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of '__builtin_strcmp'
differ in signedness
rlm_sql.c: In function 'rlm_sql_authorize':
rlm_sql.c:824: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness
rlm_sql.c: In function 'rlm_sql_checksimul':
rlm_sql.c:1227: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness

Please advise me if these warnings are serious??

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Regrads,
leo

http://mail.yahoo.com

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 10:27:36AM -0700, lmyho wrote:
> After desperately checking, we were told that debian doesn't distribute the binary
> module of freeradius for postgresql because of the incompatible license of these two
> apps! However we can build the debian pkg from the source ourself if we need. So

Sounds terribly unlikely, PostgreSQLs licence doesn't conflict with any
use anywhere. Can you provide a reference?

Have a nice day,

> > After desperately checking, we were told that debian doesn't distribute the
> binary
> > module of freeradius for postgresql because of the incompatible license of these
> two
> > apps! However we can build the debian pkg from the source ourself if we need.
> So
>
> Sounds terribly unlikely, PostgreSQLs licence doesn't conflict with any
> use anywhere. Can you provide a reference?

I wish things are not like this too! so I won't have to go through so much trouble!
But that's what happened:-(

This is the ref was given:
The old / original BSD license is not compatible.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses

Anyway to change this?? So debian users can easily use postgresql and freeradius
together...

Thanks!!

http://mail.yahoo.com

Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 10:27:36AM -0700, lmyho wrote:
> > After desperately checking, we were told that debian doesn't distribute the binary
> > module of freeradius for postgresql because of the incompatible license of these two
> > apps! However we can build the debian pkg from the source ourself if we need. So
>
> Sounds terribly unlikely, PostgreSQLs licence doesn't conflict with any
> use anywhere. Can you provide a reference?

This looks like part of the debate:

I dont know if this applies to openssl though...

- Tyler

>>>After desperately checking, we were told that debian doesn't distribute the
>>
>>binary
>>
>>>module of freeradius for postgresql because of the incompatible license of these
>>
>>two
>>
>>>apps! However we can build the debian pkg from the source ourself if we need.
>>
>>So
>>
>>Sounds terribly unlikely, PostgreSQLs licence doesn't conflict with any
>>use anywhere. Can you provide a reference?
>>

> I wish things are not like this too! so I won't have to go through so much trouble!
> But that's what happened:-(
>
> This is the ref was given:
> The old / original BSD license is not compatible.
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses
>
> Anyway to change this?? So debian users can easily use postgresql and freeradius
> together...

Changing the postgres license isn't going to happen - it has been
debated many many many times in the past (check the archives).

Those warnings come from freeradius, not postgres - so best ask on their
list whether they are serious or not.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/