Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Build with Visual Studio & MSVC

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "Gurjeet Singh" <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, uniware(at)zedware(dot)org, "Chuck McDevitt" <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Build with Visual Studio & MSVC
Date: 2006-05-05 03:27:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi William(uniware), Chuck and Hackers,

I have been interested in doing complete PGSQL development in MSVC
for a long time now. With reference to one of Chuck's mails to
-hackers-win32 with the same subject, you said that you were able to
successfully compile PG 8.1 with some minor tweaks.

Also, William has 'vcproject' hosted on pgfoundry, I downloaded
it, and tried compiling vcproject\msvc\postgres\postgres.dsw on
VC++6.0. It failed miserably with over 1000 errors. I am sure there's
some tweaks needed here too!!!

First of all, I would like to build entire server using just VC++
6.0, with NO mingw toolchain (or try to minimize it's dependency as
much as possible). If successful, I'd be glad to maintain it too for
future releases, and add support for other components/tools too.

My main grudge is that if we are supporting almost all flovours of
nixens and compilers (close to 34 according to official website), then
why are we leaving Windows platform alone? This will bring in quite a
lot more developers.

I am sure it's not going to be easy, but I am sure with this great
community suppport, we sure can achieve it.

Will and Chuck, please send the detailed steps of how to compile
pgsql the way you did it. All, please send in quirks, watch-outs when
trying to build using VC.

Thanks in advance,
Gurjeet.