Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Build with Visual Studio & MSVC

From: Thomas Hallgren <thomas(at)tada(dot)se>
To: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Build with Visual Studio & MSVC
Date: 2006-05-05 06:29:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gurjeet Singh wrote:
> My main grudge is that if we are supporting almost all flovours of
> nixens and compilers (close to 34 according to official website), then
> why are we leaving Windows platform alone? This will bring in quite a
> lot more developers.

You should look at MinGW as a development toolkit, not a platform. PostgreSQL builds and
runs just fine on the Windows platform. Personally, I use Eclipse C/C++ with MinGW since it
brings me a number of advantages. The most prominent one is that I only need to master one
IDE regardless of platform.

> I am sure it's not going to be easy, but I am sure with this great
> community suppport, we sure can achieve it.

Seems some people has done a lot of work to get things working with VC++ already. Search for
the word MSVC on this list.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren