Re: Last Commitfest patches waiting review

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Brightwell, Adam" <adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com>, Emre Hasegeli <emre(at)hasegeli(dot)com>, Rukh Meski <rukh(dot)meski(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Last Commitfest patches waiting review
Date: 2014-09-27 08:18:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

We are down to 13 patch in Needs Review state. Many of these are
stragglers that no-one's really even looked at yet.

If we want to finish the commitfest, we'll soon have to decide what to
do to patches that no-one cares enough about to review them.

pg_receivexlog: addition of --create/--drop to create/drop repslots
---

Magnus has promised to review this, but hasn't had the time for weeks.
Does anyone else want to pick this up? I'm OK to wait for Magnus to
handle this - I expect it to be a quick review and commit - but we
should not hold up the commitfest for this.

Grouping Sets
---

There has been a lot of discussion, but no decisions. See
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/87vbodhtvb.fsf@news-spur.riddles.org.uk.

Would a committer be interested to take responsibility of this? If not,
this will just linger indefinitely.

Sort support for text with strxfrm() poor man's keys
---

Peter: Are you waiting for Robert to review this? Robert, could you
review the latest patch, please? Peter: Could you try to get rid of the
extra SortSupport object that Robert didn't like?
(http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+TgmobDe+YDFnHTS0GWpT54-er8BPT3vx8rPshD+98CTDo25g@mail.gmail.com).
I think it would speed up the process if you did that, instead of
waiting for Robert to find the time.

Compression of Full Page Writes
---

This has been a ridiculously long thread, with diversions into different
compression and CRC algorithms. Given that, the latest patch is
surprisingly small. I don't think this is going to get any better with
further discussion, and the patch looks OK at a quick glance, so I've
now marked this as "Ready for Committer".

hash join - dynamic bucket count
---

Kevin: Could you review the latest patch, please?

INNER JOIN removals
---

The latest patch is significantly different from what was originally
submitted for the commitfest, so I wouldn't feel bad just bumping this
to the next one. I'll do that unless someone picks this up soon.

Tom: I know you're busy with the more urgent jsonb patch.. Do you think
you would find the time to review this anytime soon? Anyone else?

event triggers: more DROP info
---

Adam: Are you planning to do more review on this? Alvaro: do you feel
comfortable proceeding with the review you got so far?

Selectivity estimation for inet operators
---

I think there's a bug in the estimation of semi-joins, see
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/5423DC8D.3080206@vmware.com. But I
think we could split this patch into two, and commit the non-join
selectivity estimator first, as that seems OK. If no-one else steps up
to the plate, I can do that..

add latency limit to pgbench throttling (--rate)
---

Rukh: Are you planning to review the latest patch version?

Escaping from blocked send() by pg_terminate_backend().
---

I've had a look, but I'd like to have a second opinion on this.

Fix local_preload_libraries to work as expected.
---

Peter: Could you move this forward, please?

pg_dump refactor to remove global variables
---

Peter: Can you review the latest patch, please?

Fix xpath() to return namespace definitions (fixes the issue with nested
or repeated xpath())
---

No-one's volunteered to review this. I don't understand XML enough to
review this, and Abhijit who was earlier signed up as reviewer said the
same thing.

Peter: Could you take a look at this too? You've dabbled into XML stuff
before..

- Heikki

On 2014-09-27 11:18:26 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> pg_receivexlog: addition of --create/--drop to create/drop repslots
> ---
>
> Magnus has promised to review this, but hasn't had the time for weeks. Does
> anyone else want to pick this up? I'm OK to wait for Magnus to handle this -
> I expect it to be a quick review and commit - but we should not hold up the
> commitfest for this.

I'll take that one, sometime next week, if Magnus hasn't gotten to it by then.

> Compression of Full Page Writes
> ---
>
> This has been a ridiculously long thread, with diversions into different
> compression and CRC algorithms. Given that, the latest patch is surprisingly
> small. I don't think this is going to get any better with further
> discussion, and the patch looks OK at a quick glance, so I've now marked
> this as "Ready for Committer".

Did you like the patch? On a quick pass I wasn't very enthusiastic about
it in its current state.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

On 09/27/2014 11:31 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2014-09-27 11:18:26 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> pg_receivexlog: addition of --create/--drop to create/drop repslots
>> ---
>>
>> Magnus has promised to review this, but hasn't had the time for weeks. Does
>> anyone else want to pick this up? I'm OK to wait for Magnus to handle this -
>> I expect it to be a quick review and commit - but we should not hold up the
>> commitfest for this.
>
> I'll take that one, sometime next week, if Magnus hasn't gotten to it by then.

Thanks!

>> Compression of Full Page Writes
>> ---
>>
>> This has been a ridiculously long thread, with diversions into different
>> compression and CRC algorithms. Given that, the latest patch is surprisingly
>> small. I don't think this is going to get any better with further
>> discussion, and the patch looks OK at a quick glance, so I've now marked
>> this as "Ready for Committer".
>
> Did you like the patch? On a quick pass I wasn't very enthusiastic about
> it in its current state.

Now that I look at it closer, there's some ugly things there like
putting the xl_compress field to XLogRecord. I guess I should post to
the thread with more detailed comments.

- Heikki

Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> writes:
> [ unreviewed patches ]

> Grouping Sets

> There has been a lot of discussion, but no decisions. See
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/87vbodhtvb.fsf@news-spur.riddles.org.uk.

> Would a committer be interested to take responsibility of this? If not,
> this will just linger indefinitely.

I should and will take this, but not in this commitfest: I've been just
horribly busy lately with both work and personal issues. If we can punt
it to the next fest, I will promise to work on it then.

> INNER JOIN removals

> The latest patch is significantly different from what was originally
> submitted for the commitfest, so I wouldn't feel bad just bumping this
> to the next one. I'll do that unless someone picks this up soon.
> Tom: I know you're busy with the more urgent jsonb patch.. Do you think
> you would find the time to review this anytime soon? Anyone else?

Same deal here.

> Selectivity estimation for inet operators

> I think there's a bug in the estimation of semi-joins, see
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/5423DC8D.3080206@vmware.com. But I
> think we could split this patch into two, and commit the non-join
> selectivity estimator first, as that seems OK. If no-one else steps up
> to the plate, I can do that..

And I'd like to look this one over too ...

> Escaping from blocked send() by pg_terminate_backend().

> I've had a look, but I'd like to have a second opinion on this.

I concur with your opinion that this is scary as heck. We need multiple
pairs of eyeballs if we're going to do anything in this area. In the long
run though, I think pushing functionality into signal handlers is exactly
backwards; we ought to be trying to go the other way.

regards, tom lane

On 2014-09-27 10:12:03 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Escaping from blocked send() by pg_terminate_backend().
>
> > I've had a look, but I'd like to have a second opinion on this.
>
> I concur with your opinion that this is scary as heck. We need multiple
> pairs of eyeballs if we're going to do anything in this area. In the long
> run though, I think pushing functionality into signal handlers is exactly
> backwards; we ought to be trying to go the other way.

I very much agree with that concern. The interactions are just
complicated.

I'm now refreshing my work to do all waiting in client communication via
latches. While far from trivial, I'm pretty sure that's the better
course in the long run.

I guess I'll post it in the other thread.

Greetings,

Andres Freund