New regression test time

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: New regression test time
Date: 2013-06-28 21:01:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hackers,

Per discussion on these tests, I ran "make check" against 9.4 head,
applied all of the regression tests other than DISCARD.

Time for 3 "make check" runs without new tests: 65.9s

Time for 3 "make check runs with new tests: 71.7s

So that's an increase of about 10% in test runtime (or 2 seconds per run
on my laptop), in order to greatly improve regression test coverage.
I'd say that splitting the tests is not warranted, and that we should go
ahead with these tests on their testing merits, not based on any extra
check time they might add.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

On 2013-06-28 14:01:23 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Per discussion on these tests, I ran "make check" against 9.4 head,
> applied all of the regression tests other than DISCARD.
>
> Time for 3 "make check" runs without new tests: 65.9s
>
> Time for 3 "make check runs with new tests: 71.7s
>
> So that's an increase of about 10% in test runtime (or 2 seconds per run
> on my laptop), in order to greatly improve regression test coverage.

How did you evaluate that coverage increased "greatly"? I am not
generally against these tests but I'd be surprised if the overall test
coverage improved noticeably by this. Which makes 10% runtime overhead
pretty hefty if the goal is to actually achieve a high coverage.

Greetings,

Andres Freund