Re: Do we need a ShmList implementation?

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Do we need a ShmList implementation?
Date: 2010-09-20 15:12:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On the Serializable Snapshot Isolation thread, Heikki pointed out a
collection of objects in an HTAB which didn't really need its key on
VirtualTransactionId, but there isn't really any other useful key,
either. One of these objects may live and die, seeing use from
multiple processes, without ever getting a TransactionId assigned;
and it needs to be in a collection in shared memory the whole time.
This suggests to me that some sort of list would be better.

SHM_QUEUE objects provide the infrastructure for maintaining a
shared memory linked list, but they don't do anything about the
allocation and release of the space for the objects. So it occurs
to me that I'm using an HTAB for this collection because it provides
the infrastructure for managing the memory for the collection,
rather than because I need hash lookup. :-( It works, but that
hardly seems optimal.

Have I missed something we already have which could meet that need?
If not, how would people feel about a ShmList implementation? A
quick first draft for the API (which can almost certainly be
improved, so don't be shy), is:

ShmList ShmInitList(const char *name,
Size entrySize,
int initalEntryAlloc,
int maxExtensions);
Size ShmListEstimateSize(ShmList list);
void *CreateShmListEntry(ShmList list);
void ReleaseShmListEntry(ShmList list, void *entry);
int ShmListSize(ShmList list);
void *ShmListFirst(ShmList list);
void *ShmListNext(ShmList list, void *entry);

I see this as grabbing the initial allocation, filling it with
zeros, and then creating a linked list of available entries.
Internally the entries would be a SHM_QUEUE structure followed by
space for the entrySize passed on init. A "create entry" call would
remove an entry from the available list, link it into the
collection, and return a pointer to the structure. Releasing an
entry would remove it from the collection list, zero it, and link it
to the available list. Hopefully the rest is fairly self-evident --
if not, let me know.

Thoughts?

-Kevin

On 20/09/10 18:12, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> On the Serializable Snapshot Isolation thread, Heikki pointed out a
> collection of objects in an HTAB which didn't really need its key on
> VirtualTransactionId, but there isn't really any other useful key,
> either. One of these objects may live and die, seeing use from
> multiple processes, without ever getting a TransactionId assigned;
> and it needs to be in a collection in shared memory the whole time.
> This suggests to me that some sort of list would be better.

In the SSI patch, you'd also need a way to insert an existing struct
into a hash table. You currently work around that by using a hash
element that contains only the hash key, and a pointer to the
SERIALIZABLEXACT struct. It isn't too bad I guess, but I find it a bit
confusing.

> SHM_QUEUE objects provide the infrastructure for maintaining a
> shared memory linked list, but they don't do anything about the
> allocation and release of the space for the objects. So it occurs
> to me that I'm using an HTAB for this collection because it provides
> the infrastructure for managing the memory for the collection,
> rather than because I need hash lookup. :-( It works, but that
> hardly seems optimal.

> Have I missed something we already have which could meet that need?

Well, we generally try to avoid dynamic structures in shared memory,
because shared memory can't be resized. So, you'd typically use an array
with a fixed number of elements. One could even argue that we
specifically *don't* want to have the kind of infrastructure you
propose, to discourage people from writing patches that need dynamic
shmem structures.

Any chance of collapsing together entries of already-committed
transactions in the SSI patch, to put an upper limit on the number of
shmem list entries needed? If you can do that, then a simple array
allocated at postmaster startup will do fine.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

On 09/20/2010 05:12 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> SHM_QUEUE objects provide the infrastructure for maintaining a
> shared memory linked list, but they don't do anything about the
> allocation and release of the space for the objects.

Did you have a look at my dynshmem stuff? It tries to solve the problem
of dynamic allocation from shared memory. Not just for lists, but very
generally.

Regards

Markus Wanner