Re: Do we need a ShmList implementation?

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, "Dan Ports" <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Do we need a ShmList implementation?
Date: 2010-09-21 15:48:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:

>> I'm not excited about inventing an API with just one use-case;
>> it's unlikely that you actually end up with anything generally
>> useful. (SHM_QUEUE seems like a case in point...) Especially
>> when there are so many other constraints on what shared memory is
>> usable for. You might as well just do this internally to the
>> SERIALIZABLEXACT management code.
>
> Fair enough. I'll probably abstract it within the SSI patch
> anyway, just because it will keep the other code cleaner where the
> logic is necessarily kinda messy anyway, and I think it'll reduce
> the chance of weird memory bugs. I just won't get quite so formal
> about the interface.

OK, I'd say it's a little rough yet, but it works. Is this
reasonable?:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=users/kgrittn/postgres.git;a=commitdiff;h=b8eca245ab63725d0fbfc3b5969f4a17fc765f2c

In particular, I'm a little squeamish about how I allocated the
shared memory for the list, but I couldn't think of anything that
seemed better.

-Kevin