Re: Linux LSB init script

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Linux LSB init script
Date: 2009-08-26 23:40:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Here's a first rough cut of Linux script which attempts to launch
PostgreSQL as a somewhat LSB conforming application. It's very
lightly tested and I haven't gone through to confirm that every corner
case is handled exactly right; in fact on my kubuntu workstation (the
only place I've tested so far) the status command returns 4 ("program
or service status is unknown") when I think it should be returning 3
("program is not running"), so I've got something to chase down there.
And I haven't even tried to deal with the "false positive" problem
yet.

But before I spend a lot of time fine-tuning it, I wanted to post this
as a proof-of-concept draft and see if people think it's on the right
track.

Did I do anything which is considered "bad technique"?

Am I using any techniques which aren't sufficiently portable?

Is anything just outright *wrong*?

Comments welcome.

-Kevin

Attachment Content-Type Size
linux-lsb application/octet-stream 4.4 KB