Re: Linux LSB init script

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linux LSB init script
Date: 2009-09-02 14:56:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kevin Grittner wrote:

> I tracked down the license text. It includes these sections, which
> leave me disinclined to copy the init script to the PostgreSQL contrib
> directory:
>
> The Software is a collective work of Novell.
> You must acquire a license for each
> installation of the Software and for each
> additional copy (or partial copy) of the
> Software stored or loaded in memory or virtual
> memory beyond the initial copy necessary for
> execution of the Software installed on the
> hardware.
>
> . . .
>
> The Software is protected by the copyright laws and treaties of the
> United States ("U.S.") and other countries and is subject to the terms
> of this Agreement. The Software is licensed to You, not sold.
>
> . . .
>
> Novell reserves all rights not expressly granted to You. You may not:
> (1) reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software except
> and only to the extent it is expressly permitted by applicable law or
> the license terms accompanying a component of the Software; or
> (2) transfer the Software or Your license rights under this Agreement,
> in whole or in part.

here is what's in what I got from OpenSuse:

# Copyright (c) 1995-2004 SUSE Linux AG, Nuernberg, Germany.
# All rights reserved.
#
# Author: Kurt Garloff
# Please send feedback to http://www.suse.de/feedback/
#
# /etc/init.d/postgresql
# and its symbolic link
# /(usr/)sbin/rcpostgresql
#
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
#
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
#
# System startup script for PostgreSQL
#
# LSB compatible service control script; see http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/