Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts
Date: 2009-08-25 19:48:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kevin Grittner wrote:

> The reason is that we don't want certain other processes attempting to
> start until and unless the database they use has started successfully.

This is something we're not quite ready on, yet. We need some mechanism
that allows scripts to verify not only that postmaster started, but also
that it has finished recovery. You can sort-of do it by attempting a
connection and checking the error message, but it's ugly. There was
talk about a pg_ping utility years ago, but nobody got around to writing
it ...