Re: Review: Revise parallel pg_restore's scheduling heuristic

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Review: Revise parallel pg_restore's scheduling heuristic
Date: 2009-07-17 02:43:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Rebased to correct for pg_indent changes.

Applies cleanly.
Compiles cleanly.
Passes regression tests.
Comments and format look good.
No documentation changes needed.
No regression test changes needed.

Performance tests to follow in a day or two.

-Kevin

Attachment Content-Type Size
alternate-parallel-restore-2.patch text/plain 12.3 KB

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Date: 2009-07-18 20:41:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:

> Performance tests to follow in a day or two.

I'm looking to beg another week or so on this to run more tests. What
I can have by the end of today is pretty limited, mostly because I
decided it made the most sense to test this with big complex
databases, and it just takes a fair amount of time to throw around
that much data. (This patch didn't seem likely to make a significant
difference on smaller databases.)

My current plan is to test this on a web server class machine and a
distributed application class machine. Both database types have over
300 tables with tables with widely ranging row counts, widths, and
index counts.

It would be hard to schedule the requisite time on our biggest web
machines, but I assume an 8 core 64GB machine would give meaningful
results. Any sense what numbers of parallel jobs I should use for
tests? I would be tempted to try 1 (with the -1 switch), 8, 12, and
16 -- maybe keep going if 16 beats 12. My plan here would be to have
the dump on one machine, and run pg_restore there, and push it to a
database on another machine through the LAN on a 1Gb connection.
(This seems most likely to be what we'd be doing in real life.) I
would run each test with the CVS trunk tip with and without the patch
applied. The database is currently 1.1TB.

The application machine would have 2 cores and about 4GB RAM. I'm
tempted to use Milwaukee County's database there, as it has the most
rows per table, even though some of the counties doing a lot of
document scanning now have bigger databases in terms of disk space.
It's 89GB. I'd probably try job counts starting at one and going up by
one until performance starts to drop off. (At one I would use the -1
switch.)

In all cases I was planning on using a "conversion" postgresql.conf
file, turning off fsync, archiving, statistics, etc.

Does this sound like a sane approach to testing whether this patch
actually improves performance? Any suggestions before I start this,
to ensure most meaningful results?

-Kevin

Grittner<Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:
> "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:
>
>> Performance tests to follow in a day or two.
>
> I'm looking to beg another week or so on this to run more tests.  What
> I can have by the end of today is pretty limited, mostly because I
> decided it made the most sense to test this with big complex
> databases, and it just takes a fair amount of time to throw around
> that much data.  (This patch didn't seem likely to make a significant
> difference on smaller databases.)

No worries. We have a limited number of people who can test these
kinds of things and who have volunteered to serve as reviewers (two
that I'm aware of, and one of those I haven't heard from lately...).
So we'll be patient. :-)

> My current plan is to test this on a web server class machine and a
> distributed application class machine.  Both database types have over
> 300 tables with tables with widely ranging row counts, widths, and
> index counts.
>
> It would be hard to schedule the requisite time on our biggest web
> machines, but I assume an 8 core 64GB machine would give meaningful
> results.  Any sense what numbers of parallel jobs I should use for
> tests?  I would be tempted to try 1 (with the -1 switch), 8, 12, and
> 16 -- maybe keep going if 16 beats 12.  My plan here would be to have
> the dump on one machine, and run pg_restore there, and push it to a
> database on another machine through the LAN on a 1Gb connection.
> (This seems most likely to be what we'd be doing in real life.)  I
> would run each test with the CVS trunk tip with and without the patch
> applied.  The database is currently 1.1TB.
>
> The application machine would have 2 cores and about 4GB RAM.  I'm
> tempted to use Milwaukee County's database there, as it has the most
> rows per table, even though some of the counties doing a lot of
> document scanning now have bigger databases in terms of disk space.
> It's 89GB. I'd probably try job counts starting at one and going up by
> one until performance starts to drop off.  (At one I would use the -1
> switch.)
>
> In all cases I was planning on using a "conversion" postgresql.conf
> file, turning off fsync, archiving, statistics, etc.
>
> Does this sound like a sane approach to testing whether this patch
> actually improves performance?  Any suggestions before I start this,
> to ensure most meaningful results?

This all sounds reasonable to me, although it might be worth testing
with default settings too.

...Robert

> "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:
>
>> Performance tests to follow in a day or two.
>
> I'm looking to beg another week or so on this to run more tests. What
> I can have by the end of today is pretty limited, mostly because I
> decided it made the most sense to test this with big complex
> databases, and it just takes a fair amount of time to throw around
> that much data. (This patch didn't seem likely to make a significant
> difference on smaller databases.)
>
> My current plan is to test this on a web server class machine and a
> distributed application class machine. Both database types have over
> 300 tables with tables with widely ranging row counts, widths, and
> index counts.
>
> It would be hard to schedule the requisite time on our biggest web
> machines, but I assume an 8 core 64GB machine would give meaningful
> results. Any sense what numbers of parallel jobs I should use for
> tests? I would be tempted to try 1 (with the -1 switch), 8, 12, and
> 16 -- maybe keep going if 16 beats 12. My plan here would be to have
> the dump on one machine, and run pg_restore there, and push it to a
> database on another machine through the LAN on a 1Gb connection.
> (This seems most likely to be what we'd be doing in real life.) I
> would run each test with the CVS trunk tip with and without the patch
> applied. The database is currently 1.1TB.

you need to be careful here - in my latest round of benchmarking I had
actually test with the workload generator on the same box because on
fast boxes we can easily achive >100MB/s total load rate these days.
At these load rates you are very close or over the pratical limits of
GigE...

Stefan

> Grittner<Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:
>
>> "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:
>>

>>> Performance tests to follow in a day or two.
>>>
>> I'm looking to beg another week or so on this to run more tests. What
>> I can have by the end of today is pretty limited, mostly because I
>> decided it made the most sense to test this with big complex
>> databases, and it just takes a fair amount of time to throw around
>> that much data. (This patch didn't seem likely to make a significant
>> difference on smaller databases.)
>>

> No worries. We have a limited number of people who can test these
> kinds of things and who have volunteered to serve as reviewers (two
> that I'm aware of, and one of those I haven't heard from lately...).
> So we'll be patient. :-)
>

>> My current plan is to test this on a web server class machine and a
>> distributed application class machine. Both database types have over
>> 300 tables with tables with widely ranging row counts, widths, and
>> index counts.
>>
>> It would be hard to schedule the requisite time on our biggest web
>> machines, but I assume an 8 core 64GB machine would give meaningful
>> results. Any sense what numbers of parallel jobs I should use for
>> tests? I would be tempted to try 1 (with the -1 switch), 8, 12, and
>> 16 -- maybe keep going if 16 beats 12. My plan here would be to have
>> the dump on one machine, and run pg_restore there, and push it to a
>> database on another machine through the LAN on a 1Gb connection.
>> (This seems most likely to be what we'd be doing in real life.) I
>> would run each test with the CVS trunk tip with and without the patch
>> applied. The database is currently 1.1TB.
>>
>> The application machine would have 2 cores and about 4GB RAM. I'm
>> tempted to use Milwaukee County's database there, as it has the most
>> rows per table, even though some of the counties doing a lot of
>> document scanning now have bigger databases in terms of disk space.
>> It's 89GB. I'd probably try job counts starting at one and going up by
>> one until performance starts to drop off. (At one I would use the -1
>> switch.)
>>
>> In all cases I was planning on using a "conversion" postgresql.conf
>> file, turning off fsync, archiving, statistics, etc.
>>
>> Does this sound like a sane approach to testing whether this patch
>> actually improves performance? Any suggestions before I start this,
>> to ensure most meaningful results?
>>

> This all sounds reasonable to me, although it might be worth testing
> with default settings too.

To performance test this properly you might need to devise a test that
will use a sufficiently different order of queueing items to show the
difference.

One thing I am particularly interested in is to see if queuing FK items
for a table as soon as they become available, which is most likely to be
when the referred to index is created, rather than possibly doing them
all together (assuming they are named with the table name as a prefix)
as TOC order would do, has a better performance or not.

cheers

andrew

> It would be hard to schedule the requisite time on our biggest web
> machines, but I assume an 8 core 64GB machine would give meaningful
> results. Any sense what numbers of parallel jobs I should use for
> tests? I would be tempted to try 1 (with the -1 switch), 8, 12, and
> 16 -- maybe keep going if 16 beats 12.

Personally, I wouldn't go over the number of cores. But if you do find
some gain that way, I'd be very interested to know it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.