Re: Review: Revise parallel pg_restore's scheduling heuristic

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>,"Sam Mason" <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Review: Revise parallel pg_restore's scheduling heuristic
Date: 2009-08-07 19:49:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> So should we give up on this patch?

No, this is not news; just confirmation of the earlier gut feelings
and less convincing statistics that there is no problem. Tom's
argument that if there's no slowdown for common cases, preventing
O(N^2) behavior for extreme cases is compelling for me, and we've
beaten up on it enough for me to feel comfortable that it doesn't
break anything.

I held off on investigating the artificial extreme cases when I
thought we might possibly have a small performance problem here; but
this statistics exercise has just gotten me from "gut feel" that it
was noise and "not having 90% confident that we made things worse" to
"90% of the time noise would produce a bigger difference". It's one
thing to require 90% confidence that an improvement is real before
accepting something, it's another to accept a change on the basis of
not having 90% confidence that there is degradation -- so I wanted to
see a more compelling statistic.

Personally, I'm happy with it being in "Ready for Committer" status.
I remember someone else on the thread saying that besides the
elimination of O(N^2) behavior, it provided better structure for
future enhancements.

I'll run a few more benchmarks over the next few weeks to try to
characterize the improvements in extreme cases, "just for the record",
but I don't think we want to wait for that; we've got justification
enough as is.

-Kevin