Version Numbering

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Version Numbering
Date: 2010-08-20 18:12:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hackers,

A while ago, I asked if .0 releases could be versioned with three digits instead of two. That is, it would be "8.4.0" instead of "8.4". This is to make the format consistent with maintenance releases ("8.4.1", etc.). I thought this was generally agreed upon, but maybe not, because I just went to build the latest 9.0 beta and saw that the version number is "9.0beta4".

Would it be possible to *always* use three integers? So the next release would be "9.0.0beta5" or "9.0.0rc1"? In addition to being more consistent, it also means that PostgreSQL would be adhering to Semantic Versioning (http://semver.org/), which is a very simple format that's internally consistent. I'm planning to require semantic versioning for PGXN, and it'd be nice if the core could do the same thing (it will make it nicer for specifying dependencies on core contrib modules, for example).

Thanks,

David

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 11:12:56AM -0700, David Wheeler wrote:
> Hackers,
>
> A while ago, I asked if .0 releases could be versioned with three
> digits instead of two. That is, it would be "8.4.0" instead of
> "8.4". This is to make the format consistent with maintenance
> releases ("8.4.1", etc.). I thought this was generally agreed upon,
> but maybe not, because I just went to build the latest 9.0 beta and
> saw that the version number is "9.0beta4".
>
> Would it be possible to *always* use three integers? So the next
> release would be "9.0.0beta5" or "9.0.0rc1"? In addition to being
> more consistent, it also means that PostgreSQL would be adhering to
> Semantic Versioning (http://semver.org/), which is a very simple
> format that's internally consistent. I'm planning to require
> semantic versioning for PGXN, and it'd be nice if the core could do
> the same thing (it will make it nicer for specifying dependencies on
> core contrib modules, for example).

+1 for three-number versions...well, until we really see the light and
go to two-number versions. 8.3 and 8.4 are different enough that they
shouldn't even mildly appear the same, for example.

Cheers,
David (Oh, how silly! You actually want Frobozz 3.1.4.1.5.2.6, not 3.1.4.1.5.2.5!).

Remember to vote!

On Aug 20, 2010, at 11:34 AM, David Fetter wrote:

> +1 for three-number versions...well, until we really see the light and
> go to two-number versions. 8.3 and 8.4 are different enough that they
> shouldn't even mildly appear the same, for example.

No idea what you mean by that, but generally it's a bad idea to switch from dotted-integer version numbers and numeric version numbers. See Perl (Quel désastre!).

Best,

David