Re: PGSQL on shared hosting

Lists: pgsql-general
From: Erick Papadakis <erick_papadakis(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PGSQL on shared hosting
Date: 2003-11-21 08:30:32
Lists: pgsql-general

hello,

i am a newbie to the pgsql world, so pls bear with a possibly stupid
question. i want to test out pgsql but i only have a shared hosting
account. is it possible to install pgsql without root access, only for my
account? my webhost uses redhat i think.

thanks!
.ep

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion.yahoo.com/

> i am a newbie to the pgsql world, so pls bear with a possibly stupid
> question. i want to test out pgsql but i only have a shared hosting
> account. is it possible to install pgsql without root access, only for
> my
> account? my webhost uses redhat i think.

No. The "make install" step requires a root access.

Your best chance is to find a shared hosting which offers PostgreSQL
rather than MySQL. There are some. Not many, but some...

Good luck.

Francois

Home page: http://www.monpetitcoin.com/

"Would Descartes have programmed in Pascal?" - Umberto Eco

Without wanting to get flamed for gratuitous advertising, my company
offers shared hosting with PostgreSQL 7.4. I'll leave it at that.

Apologies in advance to anyone I've offended.

Regards

Tony.