Re: PGSQL on shared hosting

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Erick Papadakis <erick_papadakis(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGSQL on shared hosting
Date: 2003-11-23 18:11:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Erick Papadakis <erick_papadakis(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> So how can I execute it inside my own folder? Do I need to give any
> special commands? Is there any FAQ for this?

I think the other respondents already gave you the needed clues:
configure with --prefix set to someplace in your own directory tree,
and select a PGDATA directory under your own tree as well.

I'm also in the habit of selecting a default port that's not standard
(not 5432), so that there won't be a port conflict if the machine's
owner someday decides to install PG as standard.

In short, something like

./configure --with-pgport=5434 --prefix=/home/tgl/version74

(plus any other configure options you like) and then

export PGDATA=/home/tgl/version74/data

before running initdb or starting the postmaster.

If you do it exactly as above then you'll also need to add
/home/tgl/version74/bin to your PATH so that you can invoke psql and
other utilities conveniently. I think you can also fool with
configure's more-detailed prefix options if you have an existing
personal bin directory that you'd rather put psql into.