Re: PGSQL on shared hosting

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Holger Klawitter <lists(at)klawitter(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGSQL on shared hosting
Date: 2003-11-21 15:16:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Holger Klawitter <lists(at)klawitter(dot)de> writes:
>> No. The "make install" step requires a root access.

> Wrong! If you install into a writeable directory e.g.
> ./configure --prefix=/home/user/postgres
> make install will work just fine (or at least it did with me).

> The only problem is that you cannot start postgres automatially that
> easily at boot time.

Correct. AFAIK, you have to be root to set up any init-script action.

You can easily build, install, and run PG in a personal directory
(I do that all the time for testing purposes) but you couldn't really
use it as a full-time server because it'd need to be manually restarted
after any system reboot.