Re: Is it time for triage on the open patches?

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>
Subject: Is it time for triage on the open patches?
Date: 2012-03-09 19:47:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Well, if you get to the point where you're done churning the code in
> the next week or so, I'm willing to do one or two more rounds of
> serious review, but if that doesn't get us there then I think we need
> to give up. The energy you've put into this is commendable, but we're
> about to start the third month of this CommitFest, and until we get
> this release at least to beta or so, we can't start any new
> CommitFests or branch the tree. That basically means that nothing
> else of mine is going to get committed until the current crop of
> patches are dealt with - or for a good while after, for that matter,
> but getting the current crop of patches dealt with is the first step.
> Of course, I also want to have a good release and I understand the
> necessity of spending time on other people's patches as well as my
> own, as I believe I've demonstrated, but I don't want to stay in that
> mode indefinitely, which I think is an understandable position.

This is a fair position, but I think it's a bit unfair to be applying
such pressure to just the command-triggers patch and not all the other
open issues. Hence, $SUBJECT: is it time to start forcing this
commitfest to a conclusion, and if so what kind of schedule are we
trying to set?

Personally, the open patches that I'm excited about getting into the
tree (or at least trying hard to) are:
* NULLs support in SP-GiST
* Caching constant stable expressions per execution
and not that much else. (I'm also interested in the pgsql_fdw patch
but I'm afraid that getting it to committable shape in the next week
or two may be unrealistic.) Probably other people have their own,
different shortlists.

(This is not to say that I'm objecting to any other patches, only that
I'd push to delay closing the CF to finish these, but not others.)

I think a reasonable way to proceed might be to get some consensus on
a short list of patches we're willing to try to push to completion,
then set a schedule accordingly, and then anything that doesn't get
done by the deadline gets kicked to 9.3.

Or we can just keep drifting. But the number of open patches that
are *not* Ready for Committer, nigh two months after the CF started,
is depressingly large.

regards, tom lane

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> This is a fair position, but I think it's a bit unfair to be applying
> such pressure to just the command-triggers patch and not all the other
> open issues.  Hence, $SUBJECT: is it time to start forcing this
> commitfest to a conclusion, and if so what kind of schedule are we
> trying to set?

Just to be clear, it wasn't my intention to hold command triggers
specifically to a different standard - but I do differentiate between
small patches and big patches. Small patches that someone can get
committed with an hour's worth of review can be treated a little more
leniently than large patches that may take many cycles of review
adding up to days of effort, and I believe command triggers to be one
such patch.

> Personally, the open patches that I'm excited about getting into the
> tree (or at least trying hard to) are:
>        * NULLs support in SP-GiST
>        * Caching constant stable expressions per execution
> and not that much else.  (I'm also interested in the pgsql_fdw patch
> but I'm afraid that getting it to committable shape in the next week
> or two may be unrealistic.)  Probably other people have their own,
> different shortlists.

I'd like to get the two sepgsql patches done if possible. I'm going
to commit the rest of the DROP patch shortly, and the GUC for client
label I will review and commit if it seems like it's in good shape. I
would *like* to see Heikki's XLogInsert scaling patch committed, but
it seems like it's still too buggy for that, and I'm not sure how long
we should wait for it to get fixed; I also don't have plans to work on
it personally. It's hard to pick favorites among the rest; there are
a number of things I'd like to work on, but if it's just me working on
them it's going to take longer than I want to wait for them to get
done. There's been very little patch review going on, with a couple
of notable exceptions like Thom and Noah, and not a lot of new patch
versions from patch authors either, again with a few exceptions, like
Dimitri. So it's not terribly surprising that progress is very slow.
I'm not sure what to do about that, either: it doesn't seem very fair
to start booting patches things that are in relatively good shape, but
on the other hand I'm not willing to single-handedly (or even with
both hands) take on the task of reviewing everything that nobody else
is paying attention to.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

> There's been very little patch review going on, with a couple
> of notable exceptions like Thom and Noah, and not a lot of new patch
> versions from patch authors either, again with a few exceptions, like
> Dimitri. So it's not terribly surprising that progress is very slow.
> I'm not sure what to do about that, either: it doesn't seem very fair
> to start booting patches things that are in relatively good shape, but
> on the other hand I'm not willing to single-handedly (or even with
> both hands) take on the task of reviewing everything that nobody else
> is paying attention to.

Right. IMO the point of setting a deadline would be to try to light a
fire under people who have been letting reviewing and patch-updating
slide. I don't want to arbitrarily boot a lot of small patches that
could have gotten done, but I don't want the active committers to be the
only ones pushing things to completion, either.

regards, tom lane

> Just to be clear, it wasn't my intention to hold command triggers
> specifically to a different standard - but I do differentiate between
> small patches and big patches. Small patches that someone can get
> committed with an hour's worth of review can be treated a little more
> leniently than large patches that may take many cycles of review
> adding up to days of effort, and I believe command triggers to be one
> such patch.

I share your view here, and in fact the code for the patch has been
updated in only two ways since 1/15: adding support for new commands and
reacting to review (refactoring, cleaning, features removal, fix the
glitch). That's the reason why I can see we're very near the end of it,
the code churn is about to be over now.

> There's been very little patch review going on, with a couple

Yeah, I'd like to get back reviewing soon too, obviously I've been
somehow more busy than expected.

> I'm not sure what to do about that, either: it doesn't seem very fair
> to start booting patches things that are in relatively good shape, but
> on the other hand I'm not willing to single-handedly (or even with
> both hands) take on the task of reviewing everything that nobody else
> is paying attention to.

It seems like February has seen lots of participants distracted away
from the commit fest, we should probably take this into account.

Dimitri Fontaine