New copyright program

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: New copyright program
Date: 2011-08-12 20:30:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Folks,

I noticed that src/tools/copyright looks like it can only be run on
Bruce's machine, so this translation to Perl is intended:

1. To make the script idempotent, which allows its safe use in
automated tools that might run it many times.

2. To get the script to run on any machine a PostgreSQL developer
would be using, as Perl is already required.

3. To make the script more efficient. As the copyright notice we
need to munge only appears once per file, it stops once it has made a
substitution.

Please find attached a patch implementing same.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

copyright_01.diff text/plain 2.2 KB

> I noticed that src/tools/copyright looks like it can only be run on
> Bruce's machine, so this translation to Perl is intended:
>
> 1. To make the script idempotent, which allows its safe use in
> automated tools that might run it many times.
>
> 2. To get the script to run on any machine a PostgreSQL developer
> would be using, as Perl is already required.
>
> 3. To make the script more efficient. As the copyright notice we
> need to munge only appears once per file, it stops once it has made a
> substitution.
>
> Please find attached a patch implementing same.

Thanks. Applied to HEAD. I never liked putting scripts in git that
only I could run, but I thought if something happened to me, it would be
good to record what I did. The Perl solution is perfect.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com