Review of "SQLDA support for ECPG"

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: zb(at)cybertec(dot)at, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Review of "SQLDA support for ECPG"
Date: 2009-10-04 06:00:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I took a look at 2-pg85-sqlda-10-ctxdiff.patch. Starting from CVS HEAD of
roughly 2009-10-03 05:00 UTC, prerequisite patches 1a-1h applied cleanly.
2-pg85-sqlda hit a trivial whitespace reject in ecpg.trailer along with a more
substantive reject at ecpg.addons:407 (FetchStmtMOVEfetch_args). Fixing it up
by hand leads to my first question - why did the transition from `opt_ecpg_into'
to `opt_ecpg_fetch_into' affect FETCH FORWARD and not FETCH BACKWARD?

The main test suite acquired no regressions, but I get failures in two tests of
the ecpg test suite (make -C src/interfaces/ecpg/test check). I attach
regression.{out,diff} and postmaster.log from the test run. The abort in
sqlda.pgc looks like the interesting failure, but I exhausted time with which to
dig into it further. preproc/cursor.pgc creates (and ideally drops) the same
table `t1' as compat_informix/{sqlda,cursor}.pgc, so a crash in either of the
others makes it fail too. Could they all use temp tables, use different table
names, or `DROP TABLE IF EXISTS t1' first?

Do those logs suggest the cause of the sqlda.pgc failure? If not, I will look
into it further. Otherwise, I'm happy to review a future iteration of the
patch.

As a side note, with patch 1* but not patch 2, test_informix entered an infinite
loop with this error:
ERROR: syntax error at or near "c" at character 15
STATEMENT: fetch forward c

Thank you,
nm

Attachment Content-Type Size