Re: Review of "SQLDA support for ECPG"

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Review of "SQLDA support for ECPG"
Date: 2009-10-07 09:18:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 02:23:57PM +0200, Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
> Noah Misch ?rta:

> I will post a new patch for SQLDA and for all others that need
> updating.

Thanks; that one does apply cleanly.

> > The main test suite acquired no regressions, but I get failures in two tests of
> > the ecpg test suite (make -C src/interfaces/ecpg/test check).

> No, this is not a real error. I have run into this as well,
> which is quickly solved if you execute "make install"
> before running "make check" under the ecpg directory.
> I guess you already have an installed PG tree at the same
> prefix as where you have pointed the new one with the
> SQLDA patch applied. Another solution may be to use
> a different prefix for the SQLDA source tree.

This was exactly the problem; with an unoccupied prefix, all the tests do pass.

> > As a side note, with patch 1* but not patch 2, test_informix entered an infinite
> > loop with this error:
> > ERROR: syntax error at or near "c" at character 15
> > STATEMENT: fetch forward c

> Do you mean that you applied all the split-up patches posted
> for the dynamic cursorname extension? I didn't get this error.
> What did you do exactly?

Having started over from a clean base tree, I can no longer reproduce this.
Another operator error, no doubt.

All tests now pass here with 1a-1h of "Dynamic cursor support for ECPG" alone,
with "SQLDA support for ECPG" also applied, and with "DESCRIBE [OUTPUT] support
for ECPG" additionally. I will report on the sqlda patch in more detail on
2009-10-10. The one concern that's clear now is a lack of documentation update.

Thank you,
nm