Re: Watch your PlanetPostgreSQL.org blogs

Lists: pgsql-general
From: Lewis Cunningham <lewisc(at)rocketmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Bruce Momjian <brucem(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, josh <josh(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dave Page <dave(dot)page(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Korry Douglas <korry(dot)douglas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Watch your PlanetPostgreSQL.org blogs
Date: 2008-03-07 21:42:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Apparently Command Prompt and Devrim GÜNDÜZ own planetpostgresql.org
and can arbitrarily decide to remove your blog from planetpostgresql.

I, and several others, received an email telling us that we we were
not meeting the (unpublished) requirements for blog display length.
Try telling blogger how much you want to display. At best it is hit
or miss.

BTW, my longest post in recent time was about 10 paragraphs long. I
didn't count words but it was NOT a *long* post.

Of course, this comes just days after Devrim and I had a disagreement
about being restricted to using OSS tools or not for presenting at an
OSS conference. Coincidence?

Anyway, that means that a single person can enforce his own,
unpublished standards for acceptable content and length. This kind
of arbitrary, "take my ball and go home" mentality is exactly what
will turn off people who are thinking about whether or not they want
to join this community.

PlanetPostgrSQL.org is listed on the postgresql.org home page and
should be controlled by more than a single individual. If this is a
project that is policed and controlled solely by Devrim (as intimated
by Joshua Drake, to me, in an email), then it should be removed from
the homepage.

If it is really a community effort, it should be controlled by the
community and not by Devrim. If an alternate aggregator is started,
what is the process to have it added to postgresql.org?

Thanks,

LewisC

Lewis R Cunningham

An Expert's Guide to Oracle Technology
http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/oracle/guide/

Postgres Forums
http://postgres.enterprisedb.com/forum.do

> PlanetPostgrSQL.org is listed on the postgresql.org home page and
> should be controlled by more than a single individual.  If this is a
> project that is policed and controlled solely by Devrim (as intimated
> by Joshua Drake, to me, in an email), then it should be removed from
> the homepage.

Historically, discussions regarding what goes on Planetpostgresql.org have
taken place on pgsql-www, and Devrim has been pretty consistent in raising
issues there before taking action. I don't know why he didn't this time;
I've posted to pgsql-www inquiring.

He's also not the sole admin of planetpostgresql.org.

--
--Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Project Core Team
www.postgresql.org

(all opinions expressed are my own; I do not speak
for the Project unless specifically noted.)

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 13:56 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> He's also not the sole admin of planetpostgresql.org.

I am.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE