actualized SQL/PSM patch

Lists: pgsql-patches
From: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: actualized SQL/PSM patch
Date: 2008-03-04 20:32:27
Lists: pgsql-patches

Hello

I actualized sql/psm patch. This patch can be downloaded from
http://www.pgsql.cz/patches/plpgpsm.diff.gz

Documentation is on wiki http://www.pgsql.cz/index.php/SQL/PSM_Manual

Regards
Pavel Stehule

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: actualized SQL/PSM patch
Date: 2008-03-05 03:44:37
Lists: pgsql-patches

and approves it.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2008-04-01 21:55:45
Lists: pgsql-patches

"Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I actualized sql/psm patch. This patch can be downloaded from
> http://www.pgsql.cz/patches/plpgpsm.diff.gz

The fundamental problem I've got with this patch is that it adds 400K
of new code (and that's just the code, not counting documentation or
regression tests) that we'll have to maintain, to obtain a feature that
so far as I've heard there is precisely zero demand for.

The duplicativeness of the code with plpgsql doesn't make this prospect
any more pleasant, either.

The idea would be a lot easier to swallow if the code were refactored
to avoid the duplication with plpgsql.

regards, tom lane

On 01/04/2008, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > I actualized sql/psm patch. This patch can be downloaded from
> > http://www.pgsql.cz/patches/plpgpsm.diff.gz
>
> The fundamental problem I've got with this patch is that it adds 400K
> of new code (and that's just the code, not counting documentation or
> regression tests) that we'll have to maintain, to obtain a feature that
> so far as I've heard there is precisely zero demand for.
>
> The duplicativeness of the code with plpgsql doesn't make this prospect
> any more pleasant, either.
>
> The idea would be a lot easier to swallow if the code were refactored
> to avoid the duplication with plpgsql.

This is long run and needs hard reorganisation of plpgsql code. And
moving some plpgsql code to core. But I don't expect so plpgpsm code
can be less than 200KB.

Regards
Pavel Stehule

> regards, tom lane

The author has received feedback so this has been saved for the next
commit-fest:

http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgpatches_hold

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com