Re: actualized SQL/PSM patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: actualized SQL/PSM patch
Date: 2008-04-03 04:57:11
Lists: pgsql-patches

>> The fundamental problem I've got with this patch is that it adds 400K
>> of new code (and that's just the code, not counting documentation or
>> regression tests) that we'll have to maintain, to obtain a feature
>> that so far as I've heard there is precisely zero demand for.

> That is likely because everyone knew he was working on it.

By "everyone" I suppose you mean the dozen or three people who are
paying close attention to who's doing what in PG development. The
above argument is hogwash, really. If SQL/PSM support were so widely
desired as to justify a code addition of this size, then the archives
would be littered with requests for it. Try to find some. (As a
reasonable comparison point for what it takes to justify a large
code addition, compare that to the number of times that text search
requests show up --- most of them coming from people who don't know
who Oleg and Teodor are.)

I'm not against having SQL/PSM support. I'm just saying I'm not
willing to support two copies of plpgsql to do it.