[patch] pg_ctl init extension

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: [patch] pg_ctl init extension
Date: 2009-09-17 19:43:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Attached patch extends pg_ctl command with init option.

pg_ctl -D /var/lib/postgres [-s] init

This should replace usage of initdb command which has problematic name
as we already discussed several times. Initdb binary will be still
there, but it can be renamed and move into execlib dir in the future.

Patch does not contains documentation changes. They will depends on
decision which database initialization method will be preferred.

Zdenek

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_ctl.patch text/x-patch 3.9 KB

On tor, 2009-09-17 at 21:43 +0200, Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> Attached patch extends pg_ctl command with init option.
>
> pg_ctl -D /var/lib/postgres [-s] init
>
> This should replace usage of initdb command which has problematic name
> as we already discussed several times. Initdb binary will be still
> there, but it can be renamed and move into execlib dir in the future.

If the name is a problem, why not change the name? What you are
proposing above is effectively a very elaborate name change, so why not
go for a simpler one?