Re: Feature Freeze date for 8.4

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Feature Freeze date for 8.4
Date: 2007-10-22 18:43:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

For planning purposes, I think its always a good idea to lay down some
dates for the next lot of development milestones. These can be
provisional, until declared solid later.

So: When is the next Feature Freeze?

Is it March 31? If not, when?

I know the answer is "too early to tell for certain", but what will it
be if we release in early Dec/early Jan, or whenever.

If we really are very uncertain, lets at least say it will be "Not
Before DateX". PPPPPPP and all that.

AFAICS, more than 50% of the patches are written by professional
developers, so our various sponsors need to know when the next release
is due. Kinda. Ish.

Thank you.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> For planning purposes, I think its always a good idea to lay down some
> dates for the next lot of development milestones. These can be
> provisional, until declared solid later.

We can't not realistically consider this until we at least come up with
a release date for 8.3.

I seem to recall that we were originally going to release 8.3 in June.

Jsohua D. Drake

> So: When is the next Feature Freeze?
>
> Is it March 31? If not, when?
>
> I know the answer is "too early to tell for certain", but what will it
> be if we release in early Dec/early Jan, or whenever.
>
> If we really are very uncertain, lets at least say it will be "Not
> Before DateX". PPPPPPP and all that.
>
> AFAICS, more than 50% of the patches are written by professional
> developers, so our various sponsors need to know when the next release
> is due. Kinda. Ish.
>
> Thank you.

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
PostgreSQL solutions since 1997 http://www.commandprompt.com/
UNIQUE NOT NULL

On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 11:53 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 19:43:28 +0100
> Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > For planning purposes, I think its always a good idea to lay down some
> > dates for the next lot of development milestones. These can be
> > provisional, until declared solid later.
>
> We can't not realistically consider this until we at least come up with
> a release date for 8.3.

There's always a way of planning through unknowns.

We can issue a provisional date. We could also say "at least 6 months
after release date of 8.3". I'm sure there's other options too.